cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting organization based on account ID from Cloudwatch

Ricky Cousins
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 19, 2020

Currently we have Cloudwatch alerts creating alerts in Opsgenie via SNS, which then raises an incident in Jira ServiceDesk.

Is there a way of passing the AWS Account ID from Opsgenie to Jira Servicedesk, then in JSD assigning an issue to an Organization using a mapping of Account IDs to organizations?

The goal is to have an incident coming in for a given AWS Account to be automatically mapped to a customer on the JSD end.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2020

Hi Ricky,

I understand that you're using Amazon SNS integration in order to get this information into Opsgenie first, and then want to automatically have Jira Service Desk assign this request to a team based on that AWS Account ID.

That SNS integration within Opsgenie appears to be rather limited in regards to what values are getting passed into Opsgenie:

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 1.35.07 PM.png

However if you could use the AWS Cloudwatch integration for OpsGenie instead of the SNS one,

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 1.35.33 PM.png

you can see that the advanced configuration of that actually does have a field value for {{AWSAccountId}} that could be passed there.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 1.07.44 PM.png

In the example I have below, I added that to some field such as the beginning of the message.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 1.09.38 PM.png

This way that information can then at least be passed to the Jira Service Desk request that is created based on this event.  But that still leaves us with the problem of how Jira Service Desk is expected to match this value back to the organization.

Perhaps we can use project automation in order look for the description or summary of that created issue for the accountid.   You can then build a rule to edit the request/issue to set the organization.  But that approach would likely be complex if you have a lot of Ids or a lot of customers as it looks like you'd have to create an automation rule for each organization that contains all the IDs.   I made a sample one that I believe would work for a single ID and it looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 1.56.55 PM.png

So it might be possible to do this if you setup this AWS Opsgenie integration a bit differently and then setup some automation within Jira itself.   Does this help?  Let me know.

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events