Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting default value for priority field

Prashanti Bharathwaj April 10, 2018

Hi ,

I would like to change the default value that gets selected on system field "Priority".

I did not find any way to do this.I want to set some common value as the default priority in create/edit but/story and other screens. Can you please help me with that?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2018

Go to Issues -> Priority Schemes. Find your scheme and click Edit.  There will be the Default Priority field, where you can choose the default priority for the Priority Scheme.

Prashanti Bharathwaj April 11, 2018

Thanks for responding. This actually does not work for me and when I set the default, I get a message that this action cannot be done. The Jira team has mentioned to me in another thread that setting defaults is not supported for system fields and I need to do something else for this like use plugins etc.

Like # people like this
Tengfei_Liu April 15, 2020

@Prashanti Bharathwaj Hi. How did you solve this problem? I also want to fill default value into the field when I click the toolbar menus such as 'create / edit'

Randall Eike June 20, 2020

I want to change the default priority from Highest to Medium.  This seems like a simple and obvious things to want to do.  But here I am 15 minutes later tearing my hair out working through the totally convoluted Jira administration system with no ideas.  I've read other threads on this topic which point to various non-existent menu options as Atlassian has likely shuffled the deck chairs repeatedly over the last few years.  Is this possible? 

Like # people like this
Prashanti Bharathwaj June 21, 2020

@Tengfei_Liu

I missed your earlier message and did not respond. We just created a "new priority scheme" and made the priority we wanted as default and attached it to projects. We did not use the "default priority scheme" because of this reason of not being able to edit as I mentioned in my earlier comment.

I also faced another trouble with incoming mail handlers creating issues with a different priority and I used the solution specified here. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-67511

I reordered the fields in such a way that the default priority I wanted is the middle one.

We are on Jira server 7.13.5 currently.

@Randall Eike , please check if one of these solutions resolve the issue for you.

Randall Eike June 22, 2020

@Tengfei_Liu Thanks for your response.  I was looking for "Priority Schemes" but it is under just "Priorities."

For anyone else stumbling on this:

Settings ==> Issue Attributes ==> Priorities

-Randall

Like # people like this
ghadeer raad September 12, 2020

@Prashanti Bharathwaj  i need to change the value of priority to character set instead of number how i can do this please?

i use liferay portal 7.0

Sekhar Chandra May 6, 2021

@Alexey Matveev 

How to set up a default option for the priority field for one issue type and rest are editable for users in case of other issue types.

exmpl: For Incident issuetype priority should be auto popuated as P1 and for other than this issue type priority can be editable by user.

Please help in this.

Thanks.

Chandra 

Like Melik Akoğuz likes this
Melik Akoğuz December 6, 2021

Hi @Sekhar Chandra 

Did you find how to do this?

How to get the priority value to change according to the issue type selected on the create screen.

For example, When the issue type is chosen as Story and then the priority should be populated high.

Thanks

Melik

3 votes
Jacqueline N McCluer January 20, 2022

Hi All, 

I am trying to follow the instruction on this chain to update my default priority level for my project but it is not working. I am not seeing a priority Scheme anything on the tool. Please help thanks!

1 vote
Holger Winkelmann January 13, 2023

Seems to be a global setting for all Projects? and not a per project setting, Which is another pitfall?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events