• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Set approver based on group or custom field selection?

I would like our customers to be able to select a department name from a list of values on the request form (IT, HR, Fianance, etc) and have that selection auto populate an Approver using automation.

Standard functionality have asking the user to select the approver from a list of all customers is messy (15k users) and does not allow for accountability since any user, including themselves can be selected as the approver. 

Has anyone done this (is it possible?) or have another recommended approach to get the same outcome?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer Community Leader Jan 14, 2021

You should be able to set up an Automation rule for this fairly easily with the new automation in Jira Administration -> System -> Automation rules. You would just remove the approver field from the creation screen and then set up the rule.

Capture.PNG

Jack Community Leader Jan 14, 2021

i have been meaning to try this out as pre-automation the approvers list is so cumbersome. I have uninterested parties getting notified that an issue requires approval. Thanks for reminding me to give this a go @Davin Studer 

Hopefully @Shannon you will test it out before I get to it. ;-)

@Jack Yes this automation step worked perfectly. It's going to be a messy list of if/then statements in our case because we have 15 different groups with unique approvers, but it works. 

For some reason I thought we couldn't set automation rules based on custom fields but looks like I was wrong - thank goodness! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

196 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you