Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Set approver based on group or custom field selection?

I would like our customers to be able to select a department name from a list of values on the request form (IT, HR, Fianance, etc) and have that selection auto populate an Approver using automation.

Standard functionality have asking the user to select the approver from a list of all customers is messy (15k users) and does not allow for accountability since any user, including themselves can be selected as the approver. 

Has anyone done this (is it possible?) or have another recommended approach to get the same outcome?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

You should be able to set up an Automation rule for this fairly easily with the new automation in Jira Administration -> System -> Automation rules. You would just remove the approver field from the creation screen and then set up the rule.

Capture.PNG

Jack Brickey Community Leader Jan 14, 2021

i have been meaning to try this out as pre-automation the approvers list is so cumbersome. I have uninterested parties getting notified that an issue requires approval. Thanks for reminding me to give this a go @Davin Studer 

Hopefully @Shannon you will test it out before I get to it. ;-)

@Jack Brickey Yes this automation step worked perfectly. It's going to be a messy list of if/then statements in our case because we have 15 different groups with unique approvers, but it works. 

For some reason I thought we couldn't set automation rules based on custom fields but looks like I was wrong - thank goodness! 

Hi @Davin Studer ,

how about i have a condition, like..

"If User in group admin, need approver from user on manager group"

how to make automation that suitable with my condition?

Regarding accountability, you can use automation to auto-close a ticket if a user sets them self as the approver. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events