Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Reporter from a custom field

Anthony Polakos February 14, 2019

Is it possible to set a Service Desk reporter from a custom field?

Here's how far I've gotten:

1) I am currently receiving a custom form with custom fields to create a Service Desk issue.

2) I am using Automation to Add the Name / Email from custom fields to create the Customer in Service Desk (using the inbuilt functionality of Automation)

3) I now want to make that new Customer the reporter.  I (for the life of me!) can't figure out how to do that.

Help me Automation-One, you're my only hope!

Thanks so much! 🙂

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2019

Hi Anthony,

You can do this by adding the Edit issue action, adding the reporter field and using the smart value:

{{customer}}

Let us know how you go,

Cheers,
Nick Menere [Automation for Jira]
Co-Founder

Anthony Polakos February 16, 2019

Hi Nick!  Thanks so much for your answer! I’m not exactly sure how to construct that?  Can you give any insight on that?  How would I use that with the custom field I have and reporter? 

Right now with the form I’m using, the reporter comes through as a generic (static) Jira user.  So I’m grabbing the customer info in some custom fields and creating the new customer that way.  But I can’t seem to figure out how to make that new customer the actual reporter of the issue that was created. 

...again, thanks!

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2019

Hi Anthony,

Apologies but I just discovered a bug inserting smart-values into the reporter field.

Instead you will need to use the Additional Field section like:

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 3.46.29 pm.png

Though I have a feeling we may be talking about slightly different things. If the above doesn't make sense, can you share a screenshot of your rule.

Cheers,

Nick

Like • Dmitri Fedorchenko likes this
Anthony Polakos February 18, 2019

Nick, you are a Jira GOD!!!!!

That worked perfectly!  I have been banging my head against my keyboard for days and you have made it so I no longer need to take Advil at the end of every shift.

I hope they write folk songs about you.

Thank you!

Like • # people like this
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2019

I'll take that!

Glad we got it working.

Cheers,
Nick

Like • # people like this
Dmitri Fedorchenko
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 24, 2020

Good job. I spent 8 hours on this until I found this correct solution!

Bruno Rosa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 11, 2020

Same here! Thank you so much, Nick. It worked like a charm :)

JayJuan Jones January 19, 2022

Hey @Anthony Polakos thanks for posting this and getting it answered for all of us! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events