Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Registry and additional fields

Dan Olson January 8, 2021

I'm looking to utilize the new Service Registry as a mini CMDB for service requests.

Use case:  A "Request new software" SR, where the user picks the software from the Service Registry using the Affected Services field.  Then a cascading select (perhaps?) custom field would present a list of available roles for that software.

User selects ApplicationXYZ then a drop down shows up and the requester can select Administrator, General User, Super User, Basic User.

My initial thought is to create a custom cascading select field with the AppName > Available Roles.   But I don't know how to associate the Affected Service with the AppName.

Any thoughts on how to do this without requiring a full blown CMDB (Insight)?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2021

@Dan Olson - hi Dan! For the "Request new software" SR, seems like a cascading select list would work:

• Parent list = Application name
  • Child list = Roles for that app

If you want to get more complicated than that (seems like you want to), can you rephrase "But I don't know how to associate the Affected Service with the AppName"?

If you're thinking about linking two fields (example: if I pick value 1 in field A, then field B will change), there's no conditional logic possible between two fields out of the box with Jira.

Dan Olson January 9, 2021

This is great, thank you for the reply.

I was hoping to hide the Affected Services field, and have it auto populated (copied from) whatever the customer selects in the cascade select list, so the customer didn't have to enter it twice.

So if I want to utilize the Service Registry (both for reporting and for auto assignment of approvers) AND offer a cascading select, I'll have to have the customer select the Application name twice

Once using the "Affected Services" field and then again using the cascading select list. 

I can word it so it makes sense.  I'm okay with having them select the application twice at this point.  Later, I'll dig into the marketplace or Insight CMDB to see if I can streamline this.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2021

@Dan Olson - no problem!

Hmm, I'm still unsure why service needs to be selected twice (regardless whether there's direct user input or not)? I think I'm missing part of the use case here, but I haven't had enough coffee yet. 😅

Since you're using Jira Cloud, are you (or planning to) using Automations to handle "if user selects X combination of things, then set Y approvers"?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events