Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Desk users unable to view comments created through REST API

Dan Barber November 13, 2020

I am using a Jira webhook to automate some functionality when a user submits a new ticket, a part of this automation is replying to the ticket via a comment to inform the user work is being done, my problem is that the user is not able to view the comments that are being sent, even though as an Administrator I can see they are being created.

I am using the Add comment API for Node.js and the majority of the example code provided, I have a feeling this has something to do with the visibility, however I have tried changing the visibility from Administrator to Service Desk Customers and users are still unable to see the comments.

All I want to achieve is being able to push a comment to a ticket from the REST API and having any users on that ticket being able to view that comment.

Jira example.png

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2020

Hello Dan,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community and for sharing the details of your issue.

The API documentation that you shared is for Jira Cloud and it applies for Software and Business projects, but since you are using Service Management, there is specific documentation for that.

The visibility for Jira Software and Core tickets are different. On Service Management there is an option to make the comment public, that will be visible in the customer portal for customers, agents, and admins, or make it internal that will be visible for agents and admins.

Please, check the documentation below and use the "Create request comment" endpoint:

Regards,
Angélica

1 vote
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Hello @Dan Barber 

looks like the permission for customers is not set correct. Did you check if Customers are allowed to see all internal and external comments? 

The Service Desk Customer is able to see at least the issue right? (browse project)

This might be the second problem: internal / external comment. 

0 votes
Dan Barber November 17, 2020

Hi @Angélica Luz 

Thanks for your reply, this was just what I was looking for and I have now got the comments to be displayed publicly to customers. Also thanks to @nina_schmidt as I did need to make some changes to the visibility to get this working after changing over to the correct API.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events