Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Desk - set up an automated customer notification/email when a 'linked issue' is created

Shakthi Oke March 19, 2021

I cannot work out how to set up "Automation" for customer notifications that will trigger an email to the Reporter when a linked issue is created for their Service Desk request.

Scenario:

1. Customer submits Service Desk request/completes form > they receive a Service Desk confirmation email
  2. My team triage requests and we create a "linked ticket" to the respective team who will manage/support of the work > we expect the customer to receive an email of the linked ticket as they are assigned as Reporter. This is not occuring.
  3. The only way we can notify the customer/reporter is if we comment them into the linked ticket

Service Desk Automation

• in Service Desk Settings, I cannot work out how to 'add rule' that will solve this.
  • Select 'Automation'
  • Select 'Add rule'
  • Select 'custom rule' (as I dont think any of the options are relevant)
  • I cannot work out the "WHEN", "IF", "THEN" conditions.

Please help :)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shakthi Oke March 20, 2021

x

1 vote
Juan Manuel Ibarra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2021

Good morning, first of all I don't know if in this case the customer who creates the tickets in the jira service management portal is a user with a jira license.

Customers do not consume jira licenses so they cannot usually be internal project ticket reporters since this is only for licensed users. The internal notifications of jira are not sent to these types of users.
What can be done is to generate a custom field of text type that when a linked ticket is created copies the name of the SD reporter in the internal ticket for informational purposes and the same rule triggers the email to the user as a customer notification.

All of this is possible with the new automation engine from Jira project automation.

Captura de Pantalla 2021-03-19 a la(s) 10.18.26.pngCaptura de Pantalla 2021-03-19 a la(s) 10.18.38.pngCaptura de Pantalla 2021-03-19 a la(s) 10.18.52.png

Shakthi Oke March 20, 2021

Thank you for your reply.

Our Customers who submit tickets are listed as the "Reporter" in the service desk ticket, and then when we link the ticket we allocate them as the Reporter as well.  I would expect that they receive an email when allocated the Reporter, or when the Service Desk ticket has a linked issue attributed to it. 

Our company is running an older version of Service Desk so I don't see the screens you present.  I have attached what I see, just can't work out what conditions/settings2021-03-21_10-08-48.jpg2021-03-21_10-10-462.jpg2021-03-21_10-11-37.jpg2021-03-21_10-12-13.jpg

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2021

Hi @Shakthi Oke , just calling out a thing that's tripped many people up: the Automation you see in JSD Server is not the same as the Jira Automation engine shown by Juan. On the Server side of things, the Automation shown by Juan is provided by the Automation for Jira - Server app or its free variant Automation for Jira - Server Lite . This automation engine replaces the older JSD Automation feature in Jira Cloud, but you'll need to install one of these two apps in Server if you want to use some of the new triggers and features shown in Juan's screenshot. This would be the easiest route, as the Issue linked trigger shown in Juan's screenshot fits your needs perfectly.

Shakthi Oke April 5, 2021

Hi @Daniel Eads 
Thank you for providing this reply, very helpful. I'll take it up with our corp Administrators to see if they can install this. 

Shakthi Oke April 6, 2021

Hi @Daniel Eads 
Is there an equivalent solution for Jira Data Centre? We are running on that, v8.58. 

cc @Crishneil Prasad 

Thanks,

Shakthi

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2021

Automation for Jira Server is certified for Data Center, here's the direct listing for it:

It is slightly confusing, as even the Data Center version has "Server" in the app name. The Lite variant is not available on Data Center however - just the full version.

Shakthi Oke April 6, 2021

Thanks for this @Daniel Eads 

I'll send it to our Admin for review :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events