Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for issues by last public comment.

Onyx Gendry February 10, 2021

Type: Cloud

Is there any way to filter issues from a search based on the last comments date and visibility status using in built field.

I can see the Comment fields in the CSV export contain a Date time stamp. However I suspect this is sourced from another field in the backend not available from the UI.

Reason for Query:

Attempting to build an automation to prompt SD Agents to follow up on aging cases.
Need to additionally be able to determine if the last comment was internal.

Current automation leverages the updated field. 2021-02-10_17h34_19.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2021

Hi @Onyx Gendry ,

Welcome to Atlassian community. I have created the example rule for you and it will be fulfilling all of your needs. 

You can use this condition and compare it with false

{{issue.comments.last.properties."sd.public.comment".internal}}

It will get all issues where last comment is a public comment.

Here is the snapshot, you can use your query as it is in the scheduled and use the remaining conditions to fulfill your needs.

2021-02-10_13-43-15.png

Please feel free to contact back any time if you face any issues

Onyx Gendry February 11, 2021

Hi Muhammad,

Thanks for the cheery welcome and appreciate the swift response. This looks like half the puzzle, I'll have to give it a test post my extra long weekend leave and get back to you. 

The properties stuff is really powerful but the learning curve is rather steep.

Kind regards,

Onyx

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2021

You are always welcome, We just need to figure out how to use it so it can solve your whole puzzle :) 

Please feel free to reply back if you face any issue.

Onyx Gendry February 16, 2021

Hi Muhammad,

This certainly put me on the right track. After an afternoon buried in the documentation with the fresh perspective you gave me I got it to do what I was after and learned some neat basics on automation. Learning new things is always exhilarating, especially when they work properly.

While it certainly isn't the most efficient query/notification scheme, here's the final product for reference.

Schedule filters in anything with an appropriate status during work week days on a CRON schedule. (Running at midnight)

First IF: Filters out any issues who's last comment is within the last 5 days. (Might have to refine this one at a later date)

Action: Had to add an action to save it so it just logs something. 

Second IF: Checks visibility on Comment (Internal) + validates created time. (Validation is probably unnecessary but I'm paranoid fool so i put it in anyway.)

Action: Sends email to Assignee with appropriate message

Second IF: Checks visibility on Comment (External) + validates created time. (Validation is probably unnecessary but I'm paranoid fool so i put it in anyway.)

Action: Sends email to Assignee with appropriate message

2021-02-17_15h25_16.png

Kind regards,

Onyx

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2021

That's great, thanks for sharing the detailed implementation and for sure it will be very helpful for the community . 

Onyx Gendry February 16, 2021

Sharing is Caring as they say Muhammad. I also work in Support so I know how annoying a lack of details on resolving an issue/question can be.

Onyx Gendry June 2, 2021

Hi Muhammad, Atlassian community,

Update, recent changes or simplifications really, to the smart values had scratching my head as to why the original notifications were triggering on things they shouldn't be.
I had to make the following changes to the automation to compensate.

Changes:

{{issue.comments.last.properties."sd.public.comment".internal}}
is now
{{issue.comments.last.internal}}

Kind regards,

Onyx

1 vote
Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 10, 2021

Hi @Onyx Gendry ,

You can use the Comment Enhancer app for this.

It has features called Last comment, Last Commenter, and Last Comment Date custom fields that will help you to stay on top of your tickets. You can also search issues against these custom fields. Just start typing custom field names, and search issues. You can also add comment custom fields to the issue navigator and see the results accordingly.

Last comment-Comment Enhancer.png

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Gökçe

Please note that I'm one of the members of the Snapbytes team.

Onyx Gendry February 11, 2021

Hi Gökçe,

I appreciate the suggestion, unfortunately this isn't what I'm after. I'm only looking to leverage the in-built standard fields/values as I have neither the clout nor justification for a 3rd party app, free or otherwise.

Kind regards,

Onyx

Thomas Rotthowe September 22, 2022

Hi Gökce, 

I would like to use the comment enhancer app - but can not find it in the market place. Can you give me more details on the supplier?

I am also trying to create a queue which shows me all tickets with their last comment date, last user commenter (who is not an agent) to make sure we do not miss the latest commented tickets with are waiting for replies...

Thanks in advance!

Thomas

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events