Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLA violation and clearing on status backwards?

jonlasser April 23, 2019

I've set up an SLA to measure time since a Support Engineer last contacted a customer. (For the purposes of development, I've specified 1 hour on Priority 1 issues and 4 hours on other issues.) See below:

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 4.04.22 PM.pngI tested by leaving a non-priority-1 issue uncommented for 4 hours. The SLA breach was triggered.

The SLA breach was NOT reset when I posted a customer-facing comment in the portal. However, the SLA breach WAS reset when the customer added a comment to the issue.

Am I making an obvious error here?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 30, 2019

Hello Jon,

Welcome to Atlassian community.

Please, allow me to bring up what I have noticed on the information you provided so we can confirm we are on the same page:

I noticed that the SLA  is configured to only stop once the issues are transitioned to the status Waiting for Customer.

Considering this fact, comments should not STOP the SLA, unless you have any automation rules that would transition the issues when a comment is added. I believe you might have an automation rule that might be transitioning the issue to Waiting for Customer IF the user is a customer (Not an agent).

That been said, can you check your automation rules to know if that's what is causing the behavior you mentioned? You can find it on Project settings > Automation

If this suggestion does not help, could you please provide us with a screenshot of the automation rules you have? 

Let us know if this information helps.

jonlasser April 30, 2019

Good catch, but that's not the issue.  I should have pasted in screen shots, but can confirm that the status *does* change to *Waiting for Customer* when a comment is posted, but the SLA is not reset.

That said, here's the rules I already have--it's pretty close to the default set for Service Desk AFAIK:

Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 9.04.29 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-30 at 9.04.00 AM.png

Also, the SLA is properly reset when it was not in breach--I noted that originally, I think, but maybe it wasn't explicit enough. The only time I don't get the SLA reset is when we're in breach.  (But then it does reset when the customer subsequently comments...)

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 30, 2019

Thank you for the detailed information, Jon.

Based on the information you returned, I understood why you are reproducing the mentioned behavior, however, It's still not clear for me what is the behavior you are expecting.

The SLA is been reset when the customer answer because the issue is been transitioned to waiting for support, which is the condition that starts the SLA rule.

If you don't want the SLA to be reset when the issue is transitioned back to waiting for Support, you can use the Pause column instead of the stop column.

Could you please provide us the exact scenario that you expect using the SLAs? I think this will give us a better idea of how we can achieve your goal. :)

For more information about how SLAs works on JIRA in general, you can check the documentation below:

Setting-up SLAs

jonlasser April 30, 2019

Ah, that makes sense.

What I'm trying to accomplish feels straightforward to me. We don't want any tickets in a status of "Waiting for Support" and with no customer contact for more than 4 business hours. (Or 1 clock hour on P1 tickets... which is why we're hoping to use SLAs: so that we can have different calendars for different priority levels.)

To help enforce that, we want to see current SLA violations (of this SLA) in a queue--but if the last contact was from us, and we're currently waiting on the customer, there is no current SLA violation.  I can certainly add another condition to the queue of Status being Waiting on Support, but it would be nice to have a simple, purely SLA-based rule.

Staten_ Tyler November 5, 2019

Did you ever find a solution to this? Your not crazy and to me within our organization it is very clear. I have the same need, a key stakeholder want to help prompt agents to communicate “comment to customer” with the customer every 24 hours. A reset in the sla counter would allow us to count down the hours for the agents nicely and prioritize their queue but I have not been able to find a way. We are on the cloud instance of JSD if anyone knows a solution please post.

jonlasser November 6, 2019

@Staten_ Tyler I never got any further toward a solution, sorry!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events