Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing the portal to Google docs

Jim Stewart January 19, 2021

We're going to be migrating over from Zendesk to JSM. In the current setup, one of the ways they use the portal is to send users over to Google docs for certain information and/or surveys. Can we do that in Jira? Can we have the portal route directly to a Google doc? If not, we may still have the choice we want up there but then just have a clickable URL. (No they don't want to use Confluence.) 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2021

Hey @Jim Stewart ,

do you mean for a customer or as internal documentation?

A clickable link is always an option, you can add that to the description of a request type.

Otherwise maybe take a look at this one:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221878/team-files-office-365-google-docs?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

It kinda depends on your use-case, but you'll never have the same integration as with Confluence (and I can respect that decision :))

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2021

Not sure on what screen you mean that it pops up to but a line break should be possible using velocity markup

https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=all

Linebreak would be \\ 

Ok. the linebreak worked. But what I'm saying is when I click on the URL I would like it to go directly to the Google doc site. Instead it goes to what I will call the Jira Reporter screen. In this instance we are not interested in those details, just using the portal as a one-stop passthrough. reporter.jpg

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2021

Ah you mean your Request Type.

You wont be able to fully remove that, you're already building a work around as is so that "entry point" will open a form to fill out.

You could of course clean up whats on there and remove all the fields (except for the summary)

I think the only other option is to have it as an announcement on your portal/help center or as part of the welcome message. That way you have a link in the general section of your portal. 

If you however keep it as a Request Type, you'll always have a form that pops up first.

Ok. I put the link up in the General portal area when you come in. To your point, that brings me neatly to the Google Doc. Thanks 

0 votes

Yes, we'll still use Confluence for other things.

What I'm thinking of is the solution where there's a link in the request form. But there are two problems that I can see - one is that it looks ugly as I cannot figure out a way to drop the URL to a second line. Two is that clicking on the URL does not bring you right to the site but first drops you into the initial screen you would get (which in this case is irrelevant.) So you have to click, like, three times to get to the Google doc. Screen 1.jpgScreen 2.jpg

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events