Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting Specific Transitions

nfarmer May 15, 2020

I've looked and researched some much, and can't find an answer, everything I saw was outdated, or inapplicable for the Cloud instance of JSD. 

I want to restrict access to a specific transition for a specific Issue type. For instance, I only want our security team to be able to transition tickets from Review to complete.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2020

Edit the workflow, finding the transition from Review to Complete.  Click on that, and add a "condition" to it.  You probably want something like "only allow people in the group 'security' to do this"

1 vote
Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2020

There are actually two scenarios that come to mind, and @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- covered one of them perfectly.

The two scenarios:

1. Hide the transition completely so only users who have permission to execute the transition can even see that transition (Nic covered this by using a Condition on the transition).

2. Show the transition but only allow the user to execute the transition if they have permission: In this case you want to use a Validator on the transition.  This will allow people to see the transition (which avoids confusion when it's the only transition) but they will receive an error message when trying to execute the transition if they don't have the correct permissions.

Use some caution with #1 because using Conditions can cause people to be confused because there is no indication as to why they cannot see a transition.

I regularly use Approach 1 for hiding "Admin-only" transitions, such as allowing an Admin to bypass approvals (especially for testing purposes).  However, if there is only one transition and you use a Condition to hide it from those who don't have permission to use it, they will be confused as to why they cannot move the issue along.  In that case you may want to use a Validator instead.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events