Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict customers to see only specific Request types or Custom Field

Admin Account May 11, 2021

Hello - wondering if anyone can give some advice on this.

I have a service desk that has many customers (over 50). However I need to restrict access for a handful of customers (3 max) to only see requests that have the a specific value (i.e NZ) on a custom field (i.e. Business Unit). There are 8 other values for this custom field. This custom field is a mandatory field in every request. 

Alternatively if there isn't a solution to the above, could I restrict so these 3 customers only see requests they are either a reporter or participant of? 

The solution can't affect the remaining users as they are the majority and need to be able to see all requests and reporting is based on the entire service desk. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2021

Hi @Emily Smith  and welcome!

i'm a bit confused about your question, perhaps you can clarify this for me.

You mention you have customers so they will raise their tickets on the Portal right? Now the limitation of the visibility, do you want to limit 

• what they see on the portal when they are submitting a request OR
  • do you want to limit what they see once submitted?

the first one (limiting what they have access to on the portal for submitting) is not something that is possible out of the box.

The 2nd one, (as a customer) will be by default limited based on who reported it and/or whether the issue is shared within an organization or other customers.

Admin Account May 12, 2021

Hi Dirk

I want to limit the submitted requests that a couple of customers see. Everyone else can see all submitted requests (including their own or other customers). But these couple of customers I need to restrict, should only be able to see requests for a particular value of a custom field and maybe a specific request type. 

John Smith = can see all requests submitted

Jane Doe = can only see requests submitted that have the value NZ as the custom field for Business Unit OR if that doesn't work then only see requests they are the reporter or participant of.

Thanks

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2021

@Emily Smith 

Welcome to the Community.  You can implement Issue Security solution where you can associate JSM project's issues with security level.  This option allows you to restrict visibility of the issues.

Here is a link reference on Issue Security Scheme - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-issue-security-schemes/

Once you have your issue security scheme configured, you can even customize your WF to set security level automatically at issue creation process via post-function call based on your custom field's value that user entered for his/her request.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Admin Account May 12, 2021

Thanks Joseph

I've read through the reference and trying to understand. 

Do I need to set a ISS that will apply to ALL my issues and therefore requests types by as a default? And then set another for just customers I want to restrict which requests they see? Or if I set the only restriction for these couple of customers will it affect any other customers?

Thanks

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2021

@Emily Smith 

You can setup ISS and assign the security level issue by issue basis if that is appropriate for your end.

If you can identify the issue at issue creation time, then you can set the security level via post-function call in your WF.  This eliminates the need for manual setup.

ISS is simply further control the issue discovery to users/customers.  Once an issue's security level is set, then only the users configured in the ISS security level can see them.  If all other issues are open for everyone, then no security level is needed.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events