Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Request type is not recognized during csv import

Hi, I have multiple issues during CSV import :

+ Ticket request type value is not recognized and produce an error :

Cannot add value [ [Technical support] ] to CustomField Request Type in Issue 

Technical support request type is exact name of the value exported in CSV file from Jira.

+ Tickets are imported as Status = Closed + Resolution = Done + Resolved date in the past, but SLA are calculated based on import date, why?

Thanks for help. I have 14 customers to migrate and a bit afraid right now :( SLA calculation is needed for global reporting.

2 answers

I found it slightly odd that the requestType was a custom field, but anyways, I was able to solve this by going to the request type config page, clicking into the edit view of the request type, and getting the ID of the object from the URL path. Then in the csv for importing, I just set the ID for the corresponding request type. Just the integer, no strings. And amazingly it worked as expected. hope this helps someone!


If you are migrating from Server to Cloud, You will need to map the old Request Type ID to the new one in cloud, and convert your CSV. 

From the SLA, bulk import is like creating new issues, so the SLA starts from the creation.

If you are running a brand new cloud instance, I would suggest to use the backup import feature in cloud. 

You can backup from server, donwload a XML and import in your instance.

Check your server instance to verify if the docs are correct for you. 

Check also this doc:


Be aware that you need to understand carefully the steps. 


If my answer provided clarity for you, I would ask to accept it :)

Thanks for reply :-)


That doesn't clarify me yet, I explain.

Concerning Request type, csv export has been done from cloud, and I'm trying to import this csv, considering some other fields values. Request type should be imported like it has been exported.


Concerning my SLA issue, I don't use bulk import, but CSV import, that's 2 different things. Bulk use import date as creation yes, but CSV use created date from csv issue lines. That's necessary cause my tickets have been created and solved some months ago.


I saw on forums that's there is an issue with SLA count from CSV import, it doesn't stop cause not triggered by import action (resolution changes, resolved date... ) I'm looking for a workaround in order to have correct SLA calculation = resolved date - created date. For reporting purpose.

Hi @Vincent Naudion  did you ever managed to import your request type properly? 


Best Regards,


Used a bulk change of all imported issues to change the requestType to the new value...

I'm having this same problem and I cannot use the work around like Christian mentioned because I have several different request types I need to import. Why is this failing when the request type in my csv matches exactly how I would search for it using JQL --- as in it has the request type name plus the project key in parenthesis and it's still not working and getting same issue as Christian originally reported. 

Hi Jamie,

maybe you can import each request type on it‘s own, bulk change the type afterwards and then do the next one...pretty annoying but the only option I see.



Good point. Looks like this will be my Sunday Funday :) Thanks Christian. Hopefully Atlassian can get this fixed soon. 

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Site Admin
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Security Advisory for Jira Service Management

On October 20, 2021, Atlassian published a security advisory for Jira Service Management. The full advisory is available at this link.  We've seen a number of questions already asking for...

126 views 0 1
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you