Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request Types Groups Permissions?

Brandt Winchell May 30, 2018

Hello,

I have the need to have different permissions/views in the portal.  I have external customers that need to see certain request types groups/actions and then my internal staff have other needs.

I do not want two separate projects as a lot of the SLAs, workflows, etc.. are the same.  That also creates a lot of issues when we have to move external clients issues into our internal change management, problems, incidents, etc....

So I basically want to have:

• Permissions of user groups to be able to see certain request types within the portal
  • OR
  • A secondary view (or portal itself) within a project

Thanks

Brandt Winchell

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2018

Hi Brandt,

It's currently not possible to add in different permissions within a single service desk.  This can be done by an add-on for Server version but I see you are on Cloud.

I would highly recommend you have two different service desks.  The SLAs can be copied to the new service desk and a single workflow can be shared among more than one project.

Hope that helps

Susan

Brandt Winchell May 31, 2018

I guess it was the answer I was afraid it would be.

Thanks

Like Charlie Misonne likes this
Brandt Winchell May 31, 2018

So after spending the day building a new project, I have run into a major issue due to the fact I cannot restrict the portal tasks based on roles.

If I have to have two separate projects just due to this fact, it will complicate things drastically for my team and cause duplicated work.  I would have to duplicate a lot of the tasks, SLAs, configure request types & workflows.  But most of all, the organization/customer records.  I would need to maintain both projects with the exact same customer records.  This is not feasible.

Is there a way to automatically transfer an issue created in the external project to my internal project?  This way the external project is strictly only used to facilitate the initial request and all further transactions would be from our internal project.

Second thought, this would still be problematic.  As the customer would still need access to the portal to see ticket updates, etc....

Not happy.  This might be a deal breaker for this product.

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2018

Hi Brandt,

Via the automation you can create linked issues form new requests.  See this blog:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/blog/2017/12/automatically-create-linked-issues-from-new-requests

You can also update issues based on a linked issue update via automation.

Hope that helps

Susan

Brandt Winchell June 1, 2018

The custom rule seems to resolve the issue of the initial ticket being created and and to duplicate into the internal ITSM.  The big issue are still:

1. How to update the external corresponding ticket with any updates
  2. Organization and customer creations to be kept in sync

This seems to be a lot of customization for something that should be inherent into the portal.  Since the system already understands different actions (create, close, update, assign, etc....) it would have made sense to add the portal security settings too.  99% of ITSM systems have the ability to expose specific catalog items to different groups.

It is like painting the walls in your house but you don't want to get paint on your ceiling when you do the cut work.  So the solution is to remove the drywall, paint them, and then put the walls back.  Just does not make sense.

I will have to submit a CR to Atlassian.  I doubt it would be implemented before my POC is over with JSD.  I will have to make the decision based on what I have today.

Thanks for the assistance though.

Mike Crowley February 13, 2019

1. Can be done with automations.

1 vote
Trey Bornmann October 5, 2020

Why is this basic functionality missing in Jira? The ability to limit request type by group is pretty standard in this realm. JSD does not seem to be a mature product but they charge more than many full-featured Service desks.

Does Jira have an ETA on these basics being implemented? It would be nice to see the list so customers know if they need to look elsewhere.

1 vote
Shreyas Srinivasa October 15, 2018

Hi @Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_,

I have a similar issue and you said this must be possible through an addon for the server license. Can you please advise which addon to use?

Thanks.

Shreyas

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 15, 2018

Hi Shreyas,

THe app is Extension for Jira Service Desk.

It's under "Visibility" - Request Types that you can specify which groups have visibility to see request types.

Works great

Susan

Shreyas Srinivasa October 16, 2018

Hi @Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_

Thank you for the quick response. The Addon worked for our requirement. 

Thanks.

Shreyas

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2018

Thanks Shreyas, please "accept the answer"

Shreyas Srinivasa October 16, 2018

Hi @Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_

I am unable to mark your answer as accepted as the post already has an accepted answer. 

0 votes
Pieter Wouter Hartog
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2022

We need this too. Vote for this 'Suggestion' to help elevate the urgency for this issue: 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-195

0 votes
Marco Augusto Santinho Gonçalves September 29, 2020

Extension just work for visibility in server version...not in cloud

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events