Request Type workflows aka workflow within a workflow

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2020

Hi Everyone,

There is something that has plagued me since the day I started working with JIRA tools but never really found a proper implemention for it.

For JSD, how do you solve the "problem" of not having a dedicated process flow for a Request type?

With that I mean a specific Request type ("I request something") usually has multiple tasks that need to be done in a specific order/flow and also might be dependant on properties of the request (or dependent on each other).

In the past we've used scriptrunner to create subtasks as needed but that's just a hassle and you don't have any flow in them (unless you script it and even then it's not a visual flow).

Subtasks themselves are great for this, it's just the flow behind it that I'm really missing.

Other tools i've worked with use a dedicated flow for each Request Type in the form of a BPMN workflow or something very similar.

How do you or your customers solve it?

Did I miss the add-on on the marketplace that will change my life forever?

Is it is a frustration for you too?

Curious to hear what you come up with!

1 comment

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2020

Hi, @Dirk Ronsmans

We have a number of service desk projects, and several of them have request types with wildly-varying process needs. In these cases, we do actually use separate issue types for each request type. 

For others, there are items that need to be ticked off before a ticket can be closed, but they're not really things we want to code into the workflow because they can change on a frequent basis. For those, we use a plugin (which we didn't initially purchase for this purpose; it's just an additional use of a plugin we already have.) We use a checklist plugin that allows us to create checklist templates that can be automatically added to specific issue types in a project automatically on creation. That way, our service desk agent has the list of steps they need to take right in front of them. The particular plugin we use can also integrate with workflow transitions, so for example, we could prevent a ticket from being closed if there are still open checklist items. I'm sure there are a number of plugins that do this; this is the one we use.

If you really want subtasks but don't want to have to deal with ScriptRunner, the "new" project automation is being extended to service desk projects and will be replacing the legacy SD automation. It's really easy using automation rules to create a set of subtasks when a new SD ticket is created. You can also set up the workflow of the parent ticket to not allow certain transitions if there are still open subtasks.

Like Clark Everson likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 4, 2020

Hey @Esther Strom

Thanks for your reply, I was hoping somebody would get in to this discussion with me!

I understand how you want to facilitate this with a checklist/checklist plugin but it seems to always be the same way of working where you first define a list and then apply that checklist/list of subtasks at the start.

What I'm looking for is more a workflow with the workflow, a way to dynamically define a set of tasks one a request goes in to the working phase (ussualy in progress).

This way you can steer the flow of the tasks that are defined based on actions/questions/properties that are filled both at the start and during the flow. This could be for example:

• the cost of executing the request which then triggers multiple approvals
  • tasks that get created based on a property of the initial request such as an onboarding request where based on the type of employee perhaps a mobile phone or car is granted

Something like this could be set up using the automation (codebarrel version) or scriprunner but you either have very complex automations (to make them dynamic and ad hoc) or you are always stuck with creating all the (possible) tasks at the start and having to either cancel the not needed ones or having to manually adjust things.

I know other tools have it defined as a workflow/bpmn workflow/task list/task manager where a decision process guides you through the process behind a request type. 

As an added benefit it also gives you a visual overview of the process (such as an onboarding) and where in the process you are (both for the initiator as the executing agent).

I don't know if you are familiar with BPMN? (http://www.bpmn.org/ )

Otherwise I'd suggest taking a look at that and if you have an idea on how such a flow can be implemented using plugins that exist already or a way of working I'd be very thrilled to discuss it further!

Imho this would provide enourmous added value for all ITSM processes (and not in the least Request Fulfillment) 

I will take a look at your checklist suggestion, it might be an easier way to implement the now sometimes rigourous subtasks altho that then has the advantage that you can assign the tasks to different teams/agents/experts

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events