Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding issue handling and timer

Jim Stewart December 13, 2020

I actually have two related questions that I got from HR in my quest to create documentation. My guess is it's a firm NO on both of these but due diligence requires that I ask.

1  If an issue is not picked up by an agent, can there be a timer that reassigns it or alerts someone if there is no action on it in X amount of time?

2. Is there a way to tag someone in an issue that will add it to their queue? My guess is that tagging will alert them but not add it to their queue as it is your contention there should be one assignee. And so the only way to put it in a new person's queue is to reassign it taking it out of the first assignee's queue. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2020
  1. yes. You could use automation for that. I would set up a Time to First Response SLA and when the SLA breached I would assign to another agent. At least that is one way. 
  2. queues don’t need to have anything to do with assignment if you don’t wish. Queues can be defined by any query, e.g unassigned, labels, components, custom fields, pretty much anything. So decide on your needs and define issue and map to a queue as you need. 
Jim Stewart December 14, 2020

Thanks for the info on the timer. I'm going to have to look into that a little bit. 

As to queues, well the simplest thing is to have it default by assignee, at least as we are initially finding our way around in JSM. But the larger question is whether, say, one issue can be assigned to two people. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2020

There is a lot of discussions in the Community around this and I would recommend you search/read for more details. Basically, Jira is designed to have a single assignee primarily for accountability. However, there are options. For example, you could create a ‘group’ user in Jira that represents multiple users or rather that two or more of your users need to watch. But that consumes a license. You could create a custom field to represent a team and leave the issue unassigned until one of the team members actually takes ownership. You could create an alternate assignee custom field. 

Jim Stewart December 14, 2020

Hmm. Ok. I like the group idea. Good to know there are options. At the end of the day, it'll be HR's decision on which way to go but at least I can socialize these with them. Thanks 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events