Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing the size of ServiceDesk_log.ldf

Drew Sanders July 24, 2021

Our ServiceDesk_log.ldf file is 68GB. The Service Desk .mdf is only 991MB.

How do we get this reduced, and keep it from growing like this?

Running on Windows Server 2016.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2021

This is a question for your DBAs, it's nothing to do with Jira.

The .mdf is easiest to think of as the current database, the .ldf is a record of activity.  

Jira doesn't care what the database is doing in the background, it's irrelevant to it, it simply needs a database to use as a store.  Technically, you could just dump the .ldf completely, and Jira wouldn't notice. 

A permanently growing .ldf file suggests someone has not thought about backups of the database yet, and it's something you should have a proper look at soon.

https://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/LogFileSizeOnSqlServer is a nice explanation, good enough to get me started when I first ran into this.

Drew Sanders July 26, 2021

Thank Nic,

Exactly where I was going but didn't find a solution... the papercut.com article did point me to additional MS SQL details on shrinking the transaction files. Database recovery mode was setup for Full and transaction logs were not being backed up so they just continued to grow. Changed the recovery to simple, shrunk the transaction logs and down to a manageable size again.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events