Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended workflows replacement method for existing project

Arnis Riškovs April 29, 2021

The project must change workflows for several request types. New workflows prepared. What is the recommended workflow replacement method?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

When I have to do this I normally sit with the project lead or someone that knows the most about the workflows new and old and have them assist or pre-map the statuses between the two workflows.

When you publish the new workflows the program will ask you to map the old statuses to the new ones and then do a bulk update. 

I also try to schedule this change with the impacted people to minimize the impact to users. 

Arnis Riškovs May 6, 2021

What would be the recommended scenario? Do you recommend creating a new workflow schema with the new workflows and then replacing the existing schema with the new one?
I am also a project lead.

Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

I would recommend creating a new workflow. You could create a new schema but I would do that if you couldn't add just the new workflow to the issue type in your project. 

Basically, the steps I would take is:

1. Create a new workflow. 
  2. Under the workflow section of the project go to "Add Workflow"
  3. Select the new workflow. 
  4. Select the issue type you want it assigned to and click OK
  5. Publish the changes
  6. Go through the publishing steps of mapping the old workflow statuses to the new ones. 
  7. If needed, do a background re-index of your instance. (I don't think you do this in the cloud but I'm not sure)
Arnis Riškovs May 7, 2021

Thanks. I'll try to make the replacement this way.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events