Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purpose for multiple "Done" statuses in the default Service Desk workflow

John Bobeck October 5, 2021

I am considering modifying the default Service Desk workflow for one of my company's service support teams. The Jira Service Desk default workflow contains 3 "Done" statuses: Canceled, Resolved, and Closed. Both the Canceled and Resolved statuses have a one-way transition to the Closed status.

Why is there a "Done" status transitioning to another "Done" status (e.g., Resolved transition to Closed)? What functional purpose does this serve? Is there a risk of breaking something in the workflow if the Canceled and/or Resolved statuses end and do not transition to Closed? Thank you.

5 answers

4 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2021

The ITSM workflows are based on ITIL, which calls out that you should have a final quality control before closing a request, so that is why you have multiple done statuses. Like you I have thought of removing the closed status, and doing so will not break anything.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2021

Yes that is “fancy-talk” for what I said. 😂

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2021

Hi @John Bobeck 

I agree with what Mikael and Jack said. To my knowledge I knew that Resolved means a developer or support consider this issue as fixed. The customer then, which take the position of Quality Assurance Manager (or he might even be that person), must be the one to confirm that the issue has indeed been fixed, and once confirmed he/she moves it to a closed status (or back in progress etc).

3 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2021

@John Bobeck -

Generally speaking - When issues move into Canceled/Resolved status, team will wait for customer's response/feedbacks, and then team will move the issues to Closed when there are no further questions from the customers/reporter.  At Closed status then means the issues are 100% done.

If you are not going to move issues to CLOSED, it should be ok as long as you check your queues/SLA configuration are not referring to the CLOSED status.  The Closed status movement is highly recommended.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2021

Here is one common use case for this…

Agent moves issue to Resolved and you require/allow the Customer to designate their issue as Closed. The proverbial fox in the hen house.

0 votes
John Bobeck October 5, 2021

Thanks to all for the responses! Much appreciated. They do answer my central questions and point me in the right direction to investigate our workflow requirements further. 

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2021

Nice @John Bobeck ! I hope that you get to the bottom of this :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events