Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provide participants with fillable form

Hieu Phan April 30, 2021

Hello,

This question is sort of hard to put into words since my searches have not given any great results. I am attempting to build a semi-automated workflow that revolves around personnel onboarding/offboarding. This is very early in the development stage but one thing I'm trying to figure out is if it's possible to have Jira sent a form to a participant/approver to fill and return.

Here is an example of how I'm envisioning the workflow: 

1. HR submits a new hire request through our Service Desk portal.
  2. The request automatically shoots a form of some kind to the hiring manager.
    1. At this step, the hiring manager would fill in a form to provide information for special accommodation (computer type/specs, unstandardized apps, special access groups, etc...)
  3. Once that hiring manager has filled the form, it awaits an agent to review, approve, and start the onboarding process. 

I'm not sure if a function like this can be done through core functions or if it requires a plugin. The closest thing I can think of to achieve this would be that the request could create a subtask with the custom fields, and possibly the hiring manager could just edit the subtask with the fields. 

Any thoughts on this? 

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2021

@Hieu Phan - We have something similar to your request built out in Jira and not Jira service manager but it should be similar.  When an onboarding request is created we use ScriptRunner to create a set of sub-tasks that are used as a checklist to complete the onboarding process. Each subtask has custom fields that have to be completed in order for it to be resolved.  We use automation lite to notify different users during the process and to help move the process forward.  Once all the sub-tasks are complete the individual will be completely onboarded.  

While the system works it is clunky at some points.  I wish we would have maybe purchased something like proforma or dynamic forms to make the process easier to manage. 

Hieu Phan May 12, 2021

I've been digging into Proforma and it seems like it might match my use case. Thank you!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2021

Hi @Hieu Phan,

As @Brant Schroeder points out, Proforma fits like a glove to your use case. It lets you create forms that can be sent to users at a specific step of your workflow. And if you're planning to use Jira Service Management to interact with your users, you are otherwise very limited in offering input field to your users.

As Atlassian just acquired Thinktilt, the makers of Proforma, let's hope the features will make it to the product of your choice once you move away from server. But as of now, the tool is still available from the marketplace.   

Stefanie Sullivan December 21, 2021

Anything for The CLoud version you can recommend?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events