Problem with approvals

Ilia Shapira June 14, 2022

I have a simple ticket type with approval

If I create a ticket for this ticket type manually everything works fine and the approver gets an email to approve 

However I need to create a ticket using Project Automation

When I create exactly the same ticket with the same approver the approver don't get an email. When I check the ticket I see that it's in the Waiting for approval stage and the correct person is listed as the approver. If this person goes to the Customer Portal - Approvals he doesn't see that he supposed to approve something. Also If I check Customer Notification Approvals log I see that there is Error for this ticket. However there are no details there regarding what is the error.

I tried to add an Intermediate stage before approval stage, but when I transition from Intermediate to the approval stage Approval still doesn't work.

Any idea what could be wrong ?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marini Marini
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2022

Hi @Ilia Shapira 

To further investigate the issue, can you please share a screenshot of your automation rules?

Thanks,

Marini

Ilia Shapira June 21, 2022

Hi @Marini Marini 

This is the rule

rule.jpg

Here you you can see the ticket that gets created. It is assigned to me as approver as it should. But I don't get approver notification and if I go to Customer Portal - Approvals its not there

ticket.jpg

This is the workflow for this ticket type

workflow.jpg

This is an error from  Customer Notification Approvals log

error.jpg

Marini Marini
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2022

Hi @Ilia Shapira 

Jira Service Management (JSM) works a little bit different from Jira Software (JSW):

• Every JSW issue is tied to an Issue Type
  • BUT in JSM, every JSM issue MUST be tied to a Request Type. A Request Type is tied to an Issue Type

If the IS-583 is created by the Automation Rule, I believe, if you click "Service project request" on the right-side menu, you will see "No match" for the Request Type field.

image-1.png

That's because, in your automation rule, you use Actions to "Create issue" where you won't be able to select the "Customer Request Type". By right, you should select Actions to "Create Service Management request" and select the correct Request Type.

If a JSM issue is created without a valid Request Type, the issue will not behave like a JSM Issue such as:

• The issue will not be available from the portal. Thus, the approver will not be able to get an approval notification from the portal
  • The approval workflow will not work properly. For example, the approver will not get an email notification

My recommendation:

• When working with JSM issues, always tie an issue with a Request Type. Most of the time, you do not need to care about the Issue Type
  • Modify your automation rules. When creating a JSM issue, use Actions "Create Service Management request" so that you can select the appropriate Request Type
  • When doing your testing, use different users for different roles such as Assignee, Reporter, or Approver. This way, you will mimic a real-case scenario

I hope the above answer helps!

Regards,

Marini

0 votes
Ilia Shapira June 21, 2022

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events