Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Issue Type - Notifications

james.mckean January 11, 2021

I am setting up a problem ticket type for a client.  They want a number of people automatically notified depending on the business system impacted.  Each business system has a business owner, an approval group, lead admin, Backup admin, and a lead developer.  There are about 200 business systems.

Their current system uses a database lookup.

I cannot imagine that this is not a common problem for people using the Problem issue type, so I am wondering how people have handled it

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2021

Hi James,

I can confirm that ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud does not currently have the same functionality that the sever version has to connect to external databases due to the differences in the API's between the cloud and server versions and if this a feature you think would be useful to your organisation then I would ask you to request this on our public backlog here so that our product owner can see this.

However, I can confirm that in ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud it is possible to write code that can connect to external systems if the external system contains a Rest API that it can be called by and we have a Knowledge Base Article on how to do this here. This means if the Database has a rest API then you will be able to return data from it in your script.

Finally, I can confirm it is possible to send an email notification when a field value changes using a Scirpt Listiner configured to fire on the Issue Updated event and the code for this listiner script would need to call the changelog property which is included in the binding and will contain details on what fields were updated when the Issue Updated event was fired.

Using this you will be able to check if the field contains the values you require and then you can call the Send notification for issue API to send a notificaiton about what has changed and I can confirm we have an example of calling this API in the documentation page here when the changelog property shows that the priority field has chnaged, which you will be able to use as a reference guide to help create the script that you require.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Kristian

james.mckean January 13, 2021

Thanks so much for this heads up!

0 votes
Answer accepted
elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

I have used script runner to perform a similar function in the past: https://www.adaptavist.com/blog/connect-jira-to-external-and-local-databases-using-scriptrunner

james.mckean January 13, 2021

Thanks. The client does not currently have script runner but we are working on a business case to acquire it for them and this will be an important input.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events