Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProForma - updating a form (JIRA Server)

Elena Simon August 3, 2021

I created a form in my team's project that will populate a ticket with the contents of the form. Once the ticket is created, the form is linked to that ticket, and the form can be viewed, and "reopened".

HOWEVER -

Any changes to that reopened form do not persist.

Any changes to that reopened form are not added to the JIRA ticket it is connected to.

What I'm trying to solve:

Y'all, JIRA is ugly and looking at it hurts my eyes sometimes. My team is not agile, but works in agile product teams, but when it comes to our own project, we do the bare minimum in the project because there are other more flexible and prettier tools people are drawn to using.

This causes us to work with way too many apps and I am trying to figure out ways to simplify JIRA use for my team. If I make a form, I can make the text look nicer, and give a person more individual fields and a better designed experience than editing a JIRA ticket directly does.

MY QUESTIONS:

What keeps a ProForma form from updating the values in the assigned JIRA ticket when it is reopened and saved a second time?

Is this a unique issue and/or unexpected behavior?

If this is expected behavior, can this functionality be changed, or can the feature be updated to allow this functionality, please?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2021

Hi @Elena Simon - are you clicking Save and Submit after reopening and editing the form?

I know this is like asking if you "tried turning it off and back on again," but I had to do it 🤓

Elena Simon August 4, 2021

I did! Here is a video: https://d.pr/v/4EZoU2

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2021

Thanks for the video, @Elena Simon - This may be a version issue. I found a note about a similar error in earlier versions of ProForma. Have you upgraded? I believe anything from version 8.4.5 in the marketplace should address this issue.

Elena Simon August 5, 2021

Ah, let me speak with my admin team - thanks!

If you know where to specifically find instructions on updating a ProForma installation?

- is it uninstall and reinstall?

- Does that possibly have cost ramifications?

- Are there potential issues now that Server is deprecated?

Found the version - 8.1, sheesh - but still curious about the expected update process. Thanks!

Sorry for all the comment spam @Peter Preston - I'm new to this level of privileges and am discovering as I go.

So I've figured out the version of the app (8.1.17), but when I go to the action dropdown (as outlined here), it doesn't say that there are any potential or pending updates available for our instance's app.

According to the audit log, the last entry for ProForma was a license key update in June, and it runs through the same time next year. Unfortunately, the audit log is only for 90 days, so it seems like there's a potential of no manual updates in some time, depending on how old 8.1 is...

So of the questions above, plus some additional ones I've thought up, this is what I would like answered:

- Does the update process require an uninstall and reinstall?

- Are there written instructions for updating ProForma specifically anywhere in the ProForma documentation? I wasn't able to find any. 

- Since Server is deprecated, what (if any) difficulties or might I face in the upgrading process, even if the app has been paid for, for the year? 

(I hope that's everything 'til you have time to touch base! Thanks again and sorry for the trouble)

Like • Peter Preston likes this
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2021

Hi @Elena Simon - no need to say sorry :) Happy to help.

You should not need to uninstall ProForma to update it. The update process will handle that for you. 

Updating ProForma is like any other Marketplace app, so we didn't create any specific documentation on it. I can tell you that because your data is stored on Jira issues, you don't need to worry about losing data.

Re: the Server sunsetting, the ProForma Server app is still available and should continue working just fine. You mention having paid for the product - if so, you should be able to open a ticket at support.atlassian.com (assuming you're on at least Select Support level).

Updating ProForma through file upload (see the Updating apps by file upload section) after downloading the most recent Server version from Marketplace. 

In summary, your admin team might be able to help with uploading the latest version of ProForma and if you run into issues with the update I suggest you could connect with support.atlassian.com where they can go a bit deeper with you. 

That said, you're welcome to keep posting here and I'll do my best to help 👋

Elena Simon August 11, 2021

Hey @Peter Preston - thanks for your patience here. The integration has now been updated to 8.4.9, and there's definite experience improvement. The old form I created before the update did not work correctly, but subsequent forms seemed to do exactly what I wanted.

Thank you for your time on this one! I will mark this as answer accepted :) If I encounter any additional weirdness, I'll reach out again.

Like • Peter Preston likes this
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2021

🎉 Yes! Glad it worked, @Elena Simon ðŸŽ‰

Darrel Sutherland December 16, 2022

Hi Guys, 

I know this is a relatively old thread but i'm seeing this behaviour on a later version of Proforma 8.6.4 -DC, where I reopen the submitted form for editing it clears the pre-existing field information and blanks out the form,  Ideally shouldn't this be persisting the existing data in the form? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events