Prevent multiple resolved emails to Reporter

Phil Borrell February 22, 2021

Hi All,

In my Service projects in JSM, how do I tell Jira to only send Resolved notifications after All Required fields that are required for the transition to be accepted are completed?

Currently, I have 3 separate fields that are required to be completed by the assignee before the Resolved transition is allowed.

This is what happens:

Assignee clicks 'Resolved' automation reads 3 fields, if all 3 fields are completed, the transition is allowed.

If any of the 3 fields are not completed, a message appears to the assignee and the Status button is reset to the previous state. When this happens, because the assignee already put the status to resolved, an email was issued to the Reporter, but then when the issues are Actually resolved after the 3 fields are completed, another email goes out. 

How do I stop all resolved emails from going out until the Resolved field is actually accepted?

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2021

Hi Phil, i’m a bit confused by your post. It seems you were trying to use automation as part of a workflow function. Maybe you’re just miss typing or I am misunderstanding? In any event automation is like a post function it happens after a transition not before. If you want to require certain fields to be edited during the transition and you would want to do that within the workflow itself using validators. Given the automation happens after the fact the notification of the transition is going to happen before the automation takes place and resets the status and that reset will cause another notification.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2021

Hi Phil,

You need to place a Validator on the transition to the Resolved status to make sure that the 3 fields are populated. As Jack says, you can't and don't do that with Automation. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events