Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershell automation from Jira Service Management

Steven Lees-Smith November 19, 2020

Hi there,

This is a bit of a investigation question so bear with me.  In our current service desk I have built an offboarding process that is triggered in it's simplest form by a valid contract end date.

On the day of the leaver at 7:00pm the process starts by creating a leavers ticket in the system, in the support queue at the location for the person leaving.  It then changes their password in AD, removes the company field, moves the user to a suspended OU, removes a large number of their groups, then writes a log back to the service desk of the actions taken, the group memberships that were removed and fires off an email as a summary.  In 30 days an email is sent about permanent disabling of the account and the final steps are taken.   This is driven through the automation processes in our system, which then via a powershell scripts passes details to AD to perform all the actions and then completes it back in the service desk.

Basically, does Jira Service Management have such automation, powershell script calling, variable passing and the like to achieve the same results.  We leverage this sort of thing a few times with on boarding, travel tickets between our sites, but we use automation processes very very extensively for importing data from other systems, exports for Power BI and such.

If we went down this road it would be cloud hosted.

Happy to drown in links about this if someone wants to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2020

Hi Steven,

Great question - I really love seeing this kind of work automated.

It's likely that you can make some progress in this direction. While Jira Service Management can't run Powershell scripts directly (and you'd need something "in" your AD environment anyway), it does have Automation capabilities that could come in handy.

1. Jira's automation engine is built-in and can run when something happens - for example when a new offboarding issue is created, or it transitions to a specific status, or you can run a rule every day at 7:00pm that executes against any issues with the "contract end date" of that day.
  2. As an action in an automation rule, you can fire a webhook. Checking out the rule playground, where you can look at sample rules and create your own in a sandbox might be helpful in seeing what the Automation rules can do. You can use smart values to send information in the body of the webhook.
  3. You can receive the webhook and trigger a powershell runbook in Azure 
  4. At the end of your powershell runbook, you can update the issue status in Jira Service Management using Jira's REST API (authenticated) or potentially using an incoming webhook for Jira's automation engine (unauthenticated)

Let me know if you need extra detail in any particular step. Sounds like a fun project!

Cheers,
Daniel

Frederic Wolf June 12, 2022

Hi Daniel,

the suggested webhook in combination with powershell runbook in azure sounds like a realy nice idea.

Like Daniel Eads likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events