• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Powershell Invoke-RestMethod returns 500 "Unexpected character" Edited

Preface:

I am very new to Powershell and webrequests. I may miss something very obvious, or have not understood the solutions others have posted in questions about similar issues.

Purpose:

Access to our Atlassian instance is controlled through groups in Azure AD.

I have a small script that will create a group for a new project or Confluence space in AAD.
I want to extend this script to also create the new project/space, and have a "one stop shop" script.

I want this to work in Powershell, in order to simplify the excecution of scripts for those who will be using it.

Code:

$user = [System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetBytes("MY-EMAIL:MY-TOKEN")
$headers =@{
Authorization="Basic " + [System.Convert]::ToBase64String($user)
Accept="application/json"
}
$projectTypeKey = "service_desk"
$projectTemplateKey = "com.atlassian.servicedesk:itil-v2-service-desk-project"
$Projectname = "Ninja Project"
$body =@{

"key" = $key
"name" = $ProjectName
"leadId" = "MY-ID"
"projectTypeKey" = $projectTypeKey
"projectTemplateKey" = $projectTemplateKey

}
$uri = "https://MYSITE.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/project"

Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $uri -Method POST -Headers $headers -Body $body -ContentType "application/json"

Error:

Invoke-RestMethod: {"statusCode":500,"message":"org.codehaus.jackson.JsonParseException: Unexpected character ('k' (code 107)): expected a valid value (number, String, array, object, 'true', 'false' or 'null')\n at [Source: org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteInputStream@1c316782; line: 1, column: 2]"}

Additional info:

The unexpected character changes from time to time, and has shown as "('p' (code 112))".
I cannot force the unexpected character to change, but trying in Powershell ISE, Powershell 7, and Visual Studio Code (With PS 7.1) will often give a different unexpected character.

The unexpected character remains constant in the three different environments, but will differ between them.

The POST request works just fine in Postman.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Jan 28, 2021

Hi Rune,
I see that you're using Powershell in order to try to create a project in Jira Cloud via the REST API. I think I found out what is happening here. In my view, I believe that your POST call is failing here because Powershell is not creating a true JSON payload here for Jira Cloud to process as expected for that (POST /rest/api/3/project) endpoint.

I did a lot of trial and error to find something that works with Powershell here. I should note that I did this in a Windows 10 machine, with Powershell 5

PS C:\Users\IEUser> (Get-Host).Version

Major Minor Build Revision
----- ----- ----- --------
5 1 17763 316

One other thing to note: In my testing I substituted the headers a bit in order to supply my own encoded credentials. If you try my code below and this does not work, I would suggest first trying to do a REST API GET call to Cloud instead, just to make sure that it's not an authentication problem (/rest/api/issue/{IssueKey} is a common endpoint).

$user = [System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetBytes("MY-EMAIL:MY-TOKEN")
$headers =@{
"Authorization"="Basic " + [System.Convert]::ToBase64String($user)
"Accept"="application/json"
"Content-Type"="application/json"
}

$projectTypeKey = "service_desk"
$projectTemplateKey = "com.atlassian.servicedesk:itil-v2-service-desk-project"
$ProjectName = "Ninja Project"
$body =@{
key = "NINJA"
name = $ProjectName
projectTypeKey = $projectTypeKey
projectTemplateKey = $projectTemplateKey
leadAccountId = "123456:000000000-a000-0000-0000-0000000000"
assigneeType = "PROJECT_LEAD"
}
$uri = "https://[examplesitename].atlassian.net/rest/api/3/project"
$jsonbody = $body | ConvertTo-JSON

Invoke-RestMethod -Method POST -Uri $uri -Headers $headers -Body $jsonbody

I tweaked a number of things from your original post, for example

• the value for $key was not defined,
  • we need to use 'leadAccountId' for Cloud today instead of LeadId,
  • I put some header names in quotes,
  • and I moved one of your headers into the $headers variable.

But the big hurdle for me when testing this was that instead of trying to pass that existing $body value, I created a new $jsonbody variable, and called the Powershell utility ConvertTo-JSON in order to make sure that the payload was formatted properly.  I think this will be necessary for any POST/PUT call to Jira Cloud that requires a JSON payload

Try this and let me know if you run into any problems.
Cheers,
Andy

Hello Andy

I added your changes to my code, and I now have my Ninja Project in our DEV instance.
It worked just fine in Powershell 7.1

Thank you very much for the help!

//Rune

One weird thing I notice though, is that for Confluence it works just fine without having "Accept"="application/json" and "Content-Type"="application/json" in the Headers, and without using the "ConvertTo-JSON" parameter for the Body.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

170 views 0 4
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you