Populate Insight custom field from the Reporter value when creating an issue

Danny Brown February 9, 2020

Desired Outcome:

I have an Insight Object Type called "People" and I have created objects with names matching Jira user name.

I've created an Insight custom field called "Client" with the JQL to look in the People object type.

I want to dynamically assign the name value of the Client custom field with the value of the Reporter field when an issue is created.

What I've tried without success:

I've tried various other plugins such as Jira Automation but it doesnt let me use smart values for Jira insight custom fields. I did try their advanced option with this...

{

"fields": {

"Client": [

{"Name": "{{issue.reporter.displayName}}"}

]

}

}

without success.

- I tried another plugin called JSU which has a "Copy Value From Other Field" and set it to copy Reporter field to Client but it throws an error, even when I move the post function order around.

- I tried various Post functions.

Feels like it should be doable and I'm missing something easy. Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Yinon Negev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2020

Hi Danny.

Try the following in the Insight Customfield configuration -

Filter Issue Scope (IQL): objectType=People

Filter Assign Scope (IQL): Name = ${reporter.name}

This will populate the Insight CF "Client" with a "People" objects where the Name is the Reporter's Full Name (displayed name)

Kind regards,

Yinon

Mindville Support Team

Melo
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2021

Hi Yinon,

Does it work when the reporter is creating the issue through a JSM portal?

Cheers,

Melo

Melik Akoğuz August 5, 2021

Hi Yinon,

How can we do this in the cloud?  I tried but it didn't work.

Field Scope.png

Kind regards,

Adam Gołaszewski October 10, 2021

Hi Melik, drop the ".name". IQL should look like this Name = ${reporter}

Like # people like this
Carlos Sura October 13, 2021

Hello, would it be possible to use a custom field instead of the ${reporter}? let's say I have a custom field created: "testfield" and I want to use that Name = ${testfield}. I've tried but it's not working. 

Kevin Suter June 20, 2022

@Carlos Sura ${customfield_xyz} is the syntax you need (replace xyz with the custom field number).

Tobias H
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2022

Thank you so much @Adam Gołaszewski !

I tried all different kind of suggestions I could find, but nothing worked. 
However, removing the .name did the trick!

Like Adam Gołaszewski likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events