Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options to migrate Service Desk projects server to server

Pronto Software May 25, 2020

Howdy,

Has anyone been through the exercise of separating Jira Service Desk from a server instance to become a stand-alone JSD server instance? We hit a technical challenge migrating projects from the single Jira Software+Service Desk instance over to a newly built stand-alone JSD instance.

Our problem is caused because the stand-alone JSD target will not include all the add-ons that exist on the source instance. When attempting to migrate a project from the source there are many objects in schemes or custom fields with dependencies on add-ons that do not exist at the target end. This causes errors with migration, whichever technique is used: backup-restore or synchronisation add-on tools.

What are the options to deal with this challenge?

Looking forward to hearing feedback and advice.

Cheers,

Peter Quick

1 comment

Mathis Hellensberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2020

Hi @Pronto Software 

I think the easiest way is to just make sure that both instances have the same add-ons installed and then move the project with something like Project Configurator. At least that is probably how I would do it.

Maybe another way could be to just backup the source instance, deploy it on the target instance and then get rid of software afterwards. But I dont know what this will do to all data and issues related to software.

Cheers!

Like Pronto Software likes this
Pronto Software June 25, 2020

Thanks @Mathis Hellensberg

I will explore the first option which involves installing all the add-ons, performing the project migration, then cutting the add-ons back.

The second option, using a clone of production, results in the same Atlassian server ID existing on two instances. Instance to instance links are not allows in this scenario as the server can’t link to itself. We need to have issue links from this new instance back to the primary instance.

Cheers,

Peter Quick

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events