Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notify user when no comment was added for x days

Blake October 28, 2021

Hello all,

We want to introduce a reminder system that works somewhat like that: As soon as an assignee has commented an issue, a timer starts (for example 7 days) and when time is up and the user has not commented back, he receives en e-Mail reminder to respond in time.

Same goes other way round, so if the assignee doesn't respond in a set timeframe to an user comment he is notified as well.

I have been thinking to do this via SLAs. However, I only have the option to notify me when the SLA is breached and also only for "time to first response" and "time to resolution", but I want it unconditioned: Aforementioned notification should take place on BOTH sides regardless of how many comments were added etc. I also did not manage to get this implemented via automation.

Is there any possibility to do it that way or do I have to look for a completely different approach?

PS: I can't program so writing myself a little script is not really an issue....

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2021

Hi @Blake,

just commenting an issue as a trigger does not really scale. A common practice to make your idea more robust, is integrate what you are trying to do in the workflow of your tickets.

To continue from the terminology you use, when the assignee adds a comment, he/she is expecting the user to reply. In JSM the assignee would be an agent and the user would be a customer.

If you automate the process in such a way that you update the ticket status to Waiting for Customer when an agent adds a public comment and reversely change the status to Waiting for Support when a customer comments, you can manage your SLA's from these standard status changes.

Your automation rules to support the status changes are easy to set up: they get triggered when a comment is added and can use as conditions:

• the current status of your ticket
  • the type of user that is adding the comment

Hope this helps! 

2 votes
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 28, 2021

Hi @Blake 

Also, you can consider other tools for SLA setting, for example, SLA Time and report. It allows set SLA timer for issues from any Jira`s projects (Jira Core, Jira Software, JSM). 

In your case, you can add "comment" condition as trigger to stop SLA timer and set time limit, after it branches you can set the notification sending to user you need to inform. 

This app was developed by my team, so let me know if you have any questions. 

Regards

0 votes
Blake November 1, 2021

Thanks a lot to all! However, as @Walter Buggenhout offered a solution that is feasible with the buil-in Jira functions, that one is easier for me than going the process of getting clearance for purchasing an add-on etc.

Nevertheless, also much thanks to you @Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_ !

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events