Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie needs help: Disappointed with training modules

Chetan Hassarajani April 24, 2023

Hello world,

Total JIRA newbie here. We are using HEAT ITSM for incidents and other ITSM processes. We have decided to move from HEAT to JIRA ITSM. I was looking for a step-by-step process on how to build my incident management process but haven't found anything that step by step or useful. Even the training on incident management focused on major incidents and not too much about configuration details.

Well enough complaining :-). So far i have created my ITSM project, created services, and Teams (in Opsgenie). Understood the basics of how automation, SLA and Flow works. 

I want to provide a Demo to my team on the incident management process. For this, i need help in trying to figure it out.

How to populate incident categories (not priority). So Incident -Hardware - (5 different types of hardware). etc etc.

How to create a flow so hardware incidents go to a specific team and software incident goes to a specific team

How to attach SLA to incidents based on priority.

Is there a single document/link that can help me populate the drop down fields and setup an ACTUAL process in real life. If not then can you please send me any links that may e useful.

Thanks

1 answer

3 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2023

Hello @Chetan Hassarajani 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

I have not had to set up an incident management implementation of Service Management, but I did find a variety of videos available on YouTube. Perhaps those would be helpful to you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jira+cloud+incident+management+setup+youtube

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023

Hi @Chetan Hassarajani 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

To get started with incident management on JSM, please refer - How incident management works in Jira Service Management and below useful links -

If you require additional fields eg: "Incident Category" select list having options like - Hardware / Software, you can also add custom fields.

Learn more about service level agreements (SLAs)

Working with workflows 

Hope this info helps you to get started.

Chetan Hassarajani April 25, 2023

I was looking at a document that states the Default fields in the issue view of an incident. One of them is

Component/s

Segments of your IT infrastructure that relate to the request. For example, Billing services or VPN server. These are used for labeling, categorization, and reporting.

How do i customize values of this field to populate values specific to my organization?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2023

The Component/s field values can be customized by a user with Project Administrator permissions in the project. The screen for creating those values is under Project Settings > Components, which you can find in the navigation panel on the left.

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 9.09.27 AM.png

Like Kishan Sharma likes this
Chetan Hassarajani April 26, 2023

Thank You. Thanks to you I feel like I am actually making some progress, 

Another quick question: How do i change the isssue type for all incoming emails to the service mailbox from service request to incident?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

Thanks. This is for the server version. I am looking to do this on the cloud version

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

No, the document link I provided is for Jira Service Management Cloud and noted in the URL and on the screen.

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 9.32.33 AM.png

Got it. Thank You very much. Your help is really appreciated

Sorry, another question (last one for today i promise). We have groups within our department that work on issues. e.g. Network Support, Server Support, Telephony. There are many individuals in the group. 

How can i assign a issue to a group instead of assigning it to a individual.

I want staff to assign the incidents to themselves 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

Hello @Chetan Hassarajani 

For future questions please start new Question post so that the entire community will see the question. Tacking new questions onto existing posts does not have the same visibility.

The Assignee field can only be set to individual users.

If you want to indicate a Group assignment for an issue and you are using User Groups, then you need to add a custom field for selecting a User Group.

(If you are not creating/using User Groups then the solution will be different.)

This page is the home page discussing Custom fields.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-a-custom-field/

The Custom Field creation wizard walks you through the process.

First you select the type of field you want to create.

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 10.37.52 AM.png

Then give it a Name and optionally a Description.

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 10.38.54 AM.png

Then select the screens where you want the field to be displayed. You'll have to figure out which screens are used by the issues in your Service Management project. When the screens are created automatically as part of the project being created, then the screens are named based on the Project Key. Check the box on the right next to each screen where you want the field to display.

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 10.40.42 AM.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events