Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need info about user license

Applied Minds January 25, 2023

I'm new to Help Desk, do we have to pay for a block of users and a block of agents?  We're seeing messages that we have exceeded the number of users, but most of our users submit tickets via email, not via web.  We' like to have the web option- but other platforms I've used only charge for the IT agents, not for the end users.  Am I missing something?

3 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

Hello @Applied Minds 

The users that count against you license are the ones to whom you have granted product access. You can have licensed users (the people who work on resolving the issues) and unlicensed user (customers who only interact with the issues through email or the customer portal).

This document provides more detailed information.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/what-are-user-types-and-roles/

Let us know if you have additional questions after reviewing the document.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

There is no limit to the number of Customer-type users you can have for your service desk.

Can you show us the URL that the users are using to access your service desk portal? And a screen image showing the error message they are seeing?

You can obscure the initial part of the URL that shows your domain, and any text on the screen that might be confidential.

so is the base URL for admin/licensed agents, but there's a different one for customers to submit tickets?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2023

Correct.

Add this to the end of your URL and the user should be directed to your service desk portal.

/jira/servicedesk/customer/portals

So should it be: http://jira.amthinking.net:8080/jira/servicedesk/customer/portals ??

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2023

Yes. That is the URL customers (non-licensed users) should use to access the web site for creating and interacting with their service requests.

For whatever reason, it gives me a 404 "dead link" error.  However, this URL appears to work properly:  

http://jira.amthinking.net:8080/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Is there somewhere in the admin portal that will show me what this URL is supposed to be?  I only see the base URL.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2023

Are you a Jira Administrator and/or a Jira System Administrator? If so, log into the URL you said works.

(I don't have administrator access to a Jira Server environment, so the following is based on my memory.)

Then click on the Projects menu option and select View All Projects.

In the list of projects, find one that says it is a Service project and click on it.

There should be an option in the navigation pane on the left labeled Channels. That should show you the link for the Service Desk Portal that your customer type users would access.

Strangely, the one we use has no URL listed.Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 7.19.08 PM.png

And yes, I'm an Admin.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2023

In the Browse Projects screen click on the "AMI-ServiceDesk" text to navigate to that project.

What shows in the navigation pane then?

That's where it was!  Customer Channels. The only mistake I made was not removing the "/jira" from your string.

http://jira.amthinking.net:8080/servicedesk/customer/portal/1

Thank you!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2023

I'm glad I could help.

If your problem has been solved, please consider marking the Answer as Accepted to help other users searching the community find Questions that have working solutions.

0 votes

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 5.43.08 PM.png

0 votes

OK, so how do I allow our end users, aka “customers” to login to the portal to submit requests?  They are seeing a message that we’ve exceeded our user count and they can’t submit new requests.  Do we need to pay for unlicensed customer users?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events