Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help creating the database on an external MS SQL Server for DB migration

Mark Ward May 5, 2021

Hello All,

I'm attempting to create an Microsoft SQL 2016 server database for migrating the data from the internal (H2) database.  Since I have very limited skills working in MS SQL, I have concerns when it comes to creating the database user account and schema necessary for JIRA external DB correctly.  The Jira documentation for creating the SQL Server 2016 database is not very detailed.    

Can anyone in the community point me to a more detailed instructions for setting up / creating the database which would help me get over this part of the migration?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2021

@Mark Ward - Is this the documentation you looked at https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-sql-server-2016-948232141.html

This is pretty specific and walks you through the process.  Are there specific questions you have or gaps that you believe you found in the documentation?

Mark Ward May 6, 2021

Yes.  My questions concern sections 3 and 4.

When creating the schema in section 3, the wizard ask for an owner.  I wasn't sure so I assigned it to the jiradbuser account.

Because of the way I configured the owner is section 3, I have to assume it covered the request for section 4.  I am not sure if that is correct.

Thanks for the response 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

@Mark Ward It should but I would still confirm that the user (jiradbuser) has access to the database.   

Mark Ward May 6, 2021

Update:  Installed Jira JSM 416.1 on a fresh server (Win Srv 2019) and attempted to connect the DB to the previously mentioned SQL 2016 server.  Installation seem to go well until the DB setup portion.  I provided all of the DB information requested and successfully tested the connection.  Once I proceeded past that point,  received a large error message followed by an "http 503 error" when I refreshed the browser.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the JSM app but the connection via browser still displays the 503 error.  Any help or directions would be greatly appreciated.  I can post the error if requested.

Mark  

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2021

Can you confirm that the collation type of the DB is correct.  It is step one in the link provided above.  You can use this link to set or change it https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/collations/set-or-change-the-database-collation?view=sql-server-ver15

I am assuming you are using management studio so you will need to take these steps.  

1. In Object Explorer, connect to an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine, expand that instance, and then expand Databases.

2. If the database already exists, right-click the database that you want and click Properties. Click the Options page, and select a collation from the Collation drop-down list.

3. After you are finished, click OK.

Make sure it is set to SQL_Latin1_General_CP437_CI_AI or Latin1_General_CI_AI

Mark Ward May 6, 2021

Brant,

I made the change to the DB, removed the installation and home directory and reinstalled JSM.  It appears as though I am back on the road to getting it installed.  

Thanks you so much for you help.

Mark

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events