Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need build a workflow base on user custom field conditions

jacky.wang April 18, 2021

we have a custom field and want to start a workflow based on the content.

I have made a list of radio buttons. I want to let the user chose one of the options and then continue the different flow according to the different options.

I think this workflow is performing checks on a field itself, not on its value.

How can I achieve this?

2 answers

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2021

Hi @jacky.wang,

You could design your workflow to allow for different paths, like in this (totally random) example:

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 13.16.04.png 

In the example, any created ticket will land in status triage and from there can only transition to the Open status. I would recommend you make sure that your custom field is a required field before you can move into the open status (use a required field validator to make sure this is the case).

Once a ticket is in status open, specify a condition on every transition that goes from open into a next status. In the example, those are the transitions to:

• Waiting for Approval
  • Waiting for Support
  • Selected for Development

Suppose that a Server Change must be approved. I can make sure this is the only available transition by using the following Value field condition on the transition to Waiting for approval:

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 13.22.32.png

In the same way, I can provide appropriate conditions for the other transitions in the workflow. 

Transitions that don't match the conditions you specified will not be available to the user.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2021

You will need to find a way to add conditions to the workflows (the ones built into Jira off-the-shelf are not very configurable when it comes to custom-fields)

Once you've got a method for creating conditions, edit your workflow - you 'll need to create all the different transitions you want to allow depending on the options in your field, 

Then on each transition, add a condition that blocks it unless the field is set to the right value.

Note that if you want the action of editing an issue and setting the field to also perform the transition, then you will also need a listener to catch the edit and execute the relevant transition.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events