cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple teams (queues) and access control

Sujeeva Tissaarachchi April 19, 2021

Hi Team,

I was reading the below publication from Atlassian:

Jira Service Management: Projects vs Queues | Evaluator Resources | Atlassian Documentation

My concern is:

I am having different teams working in "Service Desk" project. Some teams are external service provides act as 2nd or 3rd level support. In that case, an incident can come from 1st level support (internal) and escalate to 2nd level support (external)

So, is it possible easily flow the same incident from 1st level to 2nd level in an environment where two teams are in two projects?

Having different projects is the recommendation in the publication above. But I may have practical problems as above when I am doing so. I don't think reporting won't be an issue though

Thanks,

Sujeeva

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2021

Hi @Sujeeva Tissaarachchi and welcome to the community!

For me this would depend whether those 1st and 2nd line teams are working on the same project. From your explanation it seems they are but just one is more expert in a domain than another.

Having multiple projects could work but i think you would have to then escalate the ticket to the other project by creating either 

• a linked ticket 
  • moving the ticket (which I would not recommend as it breaks the flow)

There for, I would suggest staying in a single project. By adding maybe a "Team" field which could be a group picker, you can escalate the ticket to that "expert" team and have a queue where a dynamic JQL can filter out the tickets just for them.

If you have the use case where they are only allowed to see the tickets assigned to them, I'd suggest also looking in to issue level security 

So for me (my personal opinion), if they work on the same issues with the same flow but just passing on to another team with more knowledge,I would stick to a single project.

If we're talking a support team (1st line) and a developer team (2nd/3rd line) which have completely different flows well then you could go multiple projects with different issue types and linked issues.

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2021

@Sujeeva Tissaarachchi -

I agreed with @Dirk Ronsmans answer.  In our envs, we have different DEV-OPS teams (serving as Tier 2+ support) after the initial request is submitted to JSM.  Using JMWE add-on, we utilize JSM custom WF to auto create/auto links JSM issues with different DEV-OPS teams' projects.  We also utilize the JSM out of the box automation, so when DEV-OPS team's projects "linked issues" is closed, then it will trigger the JSM issue closure automatically.

Again, this is because our business needs that we implemented the above solution.  If your needs are different, you should look into further on what Dirk recommended - one project route solution to keep everything simple.

In case you want to take a look at the JMWE add-on, here is the URL from MarketPlace - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/292/jira-misc-workflow-extensions-jmwe?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Welcome to the community...

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events