Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving my teams support function from JIRA to JIRA Service Management

James Hall January 20, 2022

Hi, 

My teams is a support team that works alongside software developers in JIRA.  Support issues are created in JIRA, by the customer-facing engineer, and my team field those JIRA Support tickets and they are 100 % visible to the developers.  My team has grown considerably and I would now like to move my team to JIRA Service Management to leverage the luxury of a proper service desk tool with all the bells and whistles.  But my management are reluctant because they believe the JIRA Service Management issues won't be as easily visible to the developers and their teams.  I haven't explored JIRA Service Management yet but before I do I need to know that there's a way to ensure Developers (working in JIRA) have 100 % visibility of the issues created in the JIRA Service Management tool?  And I don't mean adding developers as watchers - What I think I ultimately need is a JIRA issue created whenever a Service Management issue is created that mirrors the Service Management Issue so Developers don't need to look outside of JIRA.  Hope this makes sense.  Any feedback anyone has will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, James

1 comment

Patrick Haley January 24, 2022

There are a few ways you can do this.:

1. If devs prefer to work in Jira over JSM, you can edit the Jira project's Board Settings and show issues from other projects like those created in JSM. YOu can even do this with a filter so only issues from JSM that meet specific criteria even show up on the board. For example, only show issues where the status is "Escalate to Devs".
  2. Create an automation rule to clone JSM issues to Jira and link the issues together based on certain criteria being met. This is actually what I do for enhancement suggestions. When an enhancement is raised via JSM I don't want it to sit as an open issue forever until we decide to develop it. So we just clone it and be done with it. Then we use another automation to add a comment to all closed issues of cloned issues so that way we can notify the person who created the original suggestion that it's being actioned. 
Like James Hall likes this
James Hall January 25, 2022

Many thanks Patrick.  This makes sense and is very useful.  I'll test these out with our DevOps team.....

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events