Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move cloned issues to top of the backlog

Richard den Dulk August 25, 2022

When new tickets are created, they are moved to the bottom of the Backlog and that is fine.

In case of Cloned issues, we want to have them moved to the top of the Backlog.

We haven used some automation before, but I can't find the function 'move to top of the Backlog'. I know it should be possible to update the Rank field, but I have no idea how I can update Rank so that the newly created ticket is moved to the top of the Backlog.

Please send me your ideas :-)

1 answer

2 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2022

Hi @Richard den Dulk ,

As far as I am informed this is not possible with native A4J. I guess there is a way to do this with an API call out of your automation rule. This needs a bit more of "development" effort than just a simple automation rule. (see following link: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira-software/REST/7.3.1/?_ga=2.185253600.877910822.1558376193-523709656.1556739740#agile/1.0/issue-rankIssues).

Furthermore an issue already exists suggesting this functionality you can upvote:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22673

I found the following post that seems similar to your question:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/With-the-Automation-plugin-is-there-a-way-to-set-the-rank-of-an/qaq-p/1087874

Even if this doesn´t solve exactly your problem I hope I could at least give some valuable and helpful input.

Best
Stefan

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

Hi @Richard den Dulk 

Could you try the mentioned options? Any feedback from your side?

Best
Stefan

Richard den Dulk September 1, 2022

Hi @Stefan Salzl ,

Sorry for the late reply.

I red your remarks and I also found the similiar post earlier. I am a 'non developing' scrum master in an organization where  add-ons are hard to get. So your remarks didn't help and that is the reason why I didn't reply.
I do understand the automation function in Jira, but I can not code. So I need a no-code solution. Maybe it is possible to get the highest rank via a JQL statement and somehow change the rank of the new story via the Jira automation function?

Otherwise I will have to wait until 'move to top of the Backlog' is provided in the Jira automation. I believe this is already a function in Jira, so it shouldn't be hard to implement.

Thanks for your reminder,

Richard

Like # people like this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 1, 2022

Hi @Richard den Dulk ,

Originally I have "only" been a scrum Master too ;) It´s not about another add-on. The RestAPI is something that exists already within your Jira.

If you have engineers in your team or an admin by your hand it would 'only' be creating an API call that you than could include into your automation rule. So it´s not "really" a big development deal for engineers.

Furthermore: The JQL is an internal query language to search for issues. So to say: the output of a JQL is always a list off issues. everything else (like the rank or a value of a field) is kind of a property of those issues. A JQL can filter issues based on these but it cannot return the rank as a result of a jql.

Best
Stefan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events