Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing the checkbox "Include sub-tasks" in Time Tracking

Chad DeShaw April 12, 2018

I am on Jira version  v7.6.2 and I don't see the checkbox to include sub-tasks in time tracking,  like explained here. Logging work on issues

Is it gone or not available in the version I am on?

I am hoping to get sub tasks included in time tracking to see resource utilization.

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Javi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2018

Hi Chad, 

If you have a Jira issue that contains sub-tasks and you have logged work, you should see the option for "Include sub-tasks" under Time Tracking. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 11.49.06 AM.png

Screenshot taken from Jira 7.6.2

Is it only the check-box that you are missing from the Time Tracking panel? Have you tried using various browsers to see if it is a rendering issue occurring

Additionally, are you seeing this for every issue? If so, could you try re-indexing to see if it resolves the issue

Regards,

Javier A. 

Chad DeShaw April 18, 2018

I have tried FF and Chrome and re-indexing, I still don't see the checkbox to include sub-tasks in time tracking. Does it matter if the subtask is in another project?

Javi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2018

Hi Chad,

A sub-task should not reside in another project. It should reside in the same project as the parent issue. Sub-tasks inherit the project, issue security and sprint value of the parent issue. 

See: Create Sub-task

It sounds like you might be linking issues which will not work for this functionality. 

Regards,

Javier A. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2018

It sounds like what you are calling "sub-tasks" are not sub-tasks, but issues in other projects.

Chad DeShaw April 18, 2018

Well they are issues in another project that need to be completed at the same time. I was hoping to track resources and time across both but I guess they both will need separate time tracking.  I agree with you,  they are not really sub-tasks but a task that need to be completed at the same time.

Thanks for all the help , much appreciated.

BTW- I am looking for an add-on for Jira that will show resource allocation across all projects, suggestions are welcome.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2018

Yes, sub-tasks belong to, and are part of a parent issue.

I think you have dependencies here, not sub-tasks.

I'd be looking at Portfolio and Big Picture for cross-project planning and allocation.

Scott Carpenter January 4, 2019

I am looking at an issue that has sub-tasks, all in the same project, and I don't see the checkbox on the parent issue to include sub-tasks in the time tracker. I can see it if I switch to the "old view", but not on the new view.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 9.27.52 AM.png

Like # people like this
Rebecca Lewis January 11, 2019

I am having this same issue! Will contact support.

Like # people like this
Francis Carbone January 15, 2019

I'm experiencing the same problem. Any resolution to the "include sub-tasks" check box not showing up? Is there another ticket this is being tracked under? Thanks!

Like # people like this
Victor Andreescu May 14, 2019

Same here. This new view does seem to leave out some features existing on the old view. Not to happy about it.

Like # people like this
Kiran L V May 15, 2019

Same here.  This is one reason, I'm still using the older view. 

Like Steve Michel likes this
Hans Ahrens May 16, 2019

Same here can we get this function in the new view?

Thomas Magny-Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2019
Diogo Teles July 2, 2019

also having the same problem. couldn't find any solution yet

Like Aleksey Bandurin likes this
kaushik thakkar July 9, 2019

I am also facing the same problem.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way to downgrade to the version on which this functionality was working. 

Currently I am a cloud user and the version info is below I get 

License Information for Jira

Jira 9666ad55

Is this the version number? (As I didnt see anything else as version number)

Abby Kaske July 31, 2019

I'm so glad I'm not the only one totally confused about where that friggin checkbox is!!! Every piece of guidance on community says to check that box but I cannot find it for the life of me! 

Daniele Baldon August 19, 2019

Same issue here. Is it a bug? Do you have an estimate time for the fix release? Thanks

manish.arya August 23, 2019

not getting checkbox "include sub-tasksScreen Shot 2019-08-23 at 6.54.48 PM.png

Like Rajat Singh likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2019

It's the "new issue view".  It does not have the tick-box for including sub-tasks.

4 votes
Lee-Ann COSTA September 25, 2019

Support merged my bug with an open bug, below are instructions on how to turn off the new view, it needs to be done for each users (ie, it can't be changed globally).  You can view the open bug and vote to have it fixed and watch it for updates:

===================================================

Hi Lee-Ann,

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Support.

We're afraid that, at this moment, the sub-task estimate won't roll up to parent stories in the New Jira Issue View. This feature wasn't implemented yet in the new issue view.

We've reported this as a bug in the new issue view as reported in our bug report tracking system here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69587

As a workaround for this problem, you can disable the new issue view. To do this, please follow the steps described below:

1. Click your user's avatar at the bottom-left of your screen

2. Click on Personal settings

3. Under Jira labs, next to New Jira issue view for software projects, click the green button to disable the new issue view. It will become gray when it is disabled.

PS: The new issue view cannot be disabled globally. In this case, please ask your users to perform the steps above.

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused by this bug and we have forward your feedback to the appropriate channel. We highly recommend you to watch the mentioned bug so that you would be updated on it and please feel free to address your concern directly to it. I have added this support ticket into the mentioned bug report so that our developers are aware that our customer is hitting into this issue.

As per our support workflow policy, we recommend resolving the support ticket, when it is confirmed as a bug and following-up on its progress on the bug report itself. All related updates will be made available there.

Again, we sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused by this bug. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Carlos Henrique Ughini | Atlassian Cloud Support

======================================================

Paweł Josiek November 26, 2019

Thank you for posting this. Do you have this option available in your Personal Settings? I saw Jira Labs section few months ago but this option is not available in my profile page anymore.

Leonardo Francisco November 27, 2019

Till today that feature isn't added yet to the new view. In fact, even after I turn off the new view type, the checkbox still doesn't appear. There is a note under the "Turn On/Off" button saying that next gen projects have the "new view" on. So maybe it's not possible to turn the "New view" for next-gen projects. It's sad that a so important and needed feature isn't availble in such expensive product.

Lee-Ann COSTA November 27, 2019

@Paweł Josiek - Yes I still have the option, this is how my settings are set:

jirasettings.JPG

Like Bandish Jilka likes this
Fernando March 6, 2020

Any news on this? New to Jira, skeptical to the horror stories I have heard (people like to complain) but a year without any resolution to this type of issue makes me wonder...

Andrew Hinton April 23, 2020

Sorry but this is a pretty common story with Jira.  They seem so focussed on rolling out new UX "simplification" features that they forget that alot of the old features were being used and relied on. 

And it always seems to be basic things like this that go wrong.  We've made a pretty big investment in Jira at our organisation but I'm seriously considering going back to Azure Devops now as they seem capable of evolving their UX without destroying features.

Like Fernando likes this
Fernando April 24, 2020

What's even worse is to not hear a peep from them.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2020

I'd tend to agree with this, although I would give Atlassian some slack.

In my opinion, Next-gen projects are not ready.  They do a lot, and an increasing amount of, the basics, but they are a long way off being an adequate replacement for classic functions.

I give Atlassian some slack on this because they are gradually adding the functions needed to Next-gen, I can see there's a lot to do, and I appreciate that Next-gen is being built totally differently to classic in a way that I think is the right way forward. 

But I don't appreciate being told Next-gen is great when it's missing so much compared to classic projects (and frankly, a lot of people adopting Jira do it because of functions in classic projects.  I did two sales calls today on moves to Cloud, both ending with "yes, we can help you move to Cloud, but don't use Next-gen projects for a while")

2 votes
Tim August 20, 2020

Still no solution, this is sad. It's a basic feature that should be fixed in a day tops.

2 votes
Sunil Sodah May 28, 2020

Still see this issue. Why is it taking months / years to fix this issue?

2 votes
Lee-Ann COSTA September 24, 2019

I've reported this as a bug as it was working before the new view and no longer working now... worth a shot.. JST-514363.

1 vote
Holly Schomann April 7, 2020

Does anyone know if this has been updated in the new view yet?  I have spent so much time looking for that checkbox. This is throwing off all of my estimates in my sprint. I am debating just manually updating the task updates with the estimates we did for the subtasks. so annoying.

1 vote
Mykhailo Tkachuk September 24, 2019

The issue is still there for me (and many others), don't see any progress on that or Atlassian taking care of it.

Leonardo Francisco November 28, 2019

Yeah. It seems like they don't even care. In fact, it's a simple adjustment. Because of this fault, "Tasks" and "subtasks" are something like broken and almost useless/ worthless when talking about time measurement. Where I work, we are using the next gen kind of project and it's impossible to turn the new view off so that damn check box can show itself.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Fernando April 24, 2020

Hello? Atlassian? Hello?

Christophe Floury February 17, 2021

Wow. A company building issue tracking systems and they don't seem able to track issues ? I am new to Jira after years of experience with Team Foundation Server (mixed I shall add) and there is a lot to like but this lack of communications is unnerving.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events