cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Request types to another Issue type

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2021

Greetings, a few months ago i've incorrectly made a setup in Jira Service Desk.
Most of my Request types were the same issue type - TASK.

Now I need to change the issue types scheme to the same we use in Jira Software.

Project RBK Games - Issue Types - Jira - Mozilla F.png

New issue type scheme.

Now if change the issue type scheme, I'm unable to access the Request types forms and get an error.

jira error.jpg

An error with a request form on a customer portal

Where I can correctly associate new issue types with the current form? I need to change that for 10 request types, ~80 tickets in 3 ongoing projects and ensure that all old tasks are working correctly for both - customers and agents. After that change, I plan to launch 15 more similar projects for other agents.

P.s. gladly I've started with a test project, where I've lost data and cant access it now.  

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

Hi @Alexey ,

Wow, that is quite a messy situation you got into 😄 ! It happens a lot don't worry, there is a solution to this, I would suggest you to try the next few steps :

1. Create another set of Request Types for every request type which is problematic, but this time using an issue type that belongs to your project Issue Type Scheme. It will make the process easier if you recreate them using the same custom fields.
  2. Search your problematic request types one by one and use the bulk change operation, then choose "move issues". You will then be able to change the issue type of your issues, and afterwards to select a new Request Type using another bulk operation
  3. Suppress the old request types you don't need anymore

I recommend you to try it on 1 request type first to see if it works. Let me know how it goes !

Guilhem

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2021

@Guilhem Dupuy 
I was afraid of that answer haha! Had hoped that there is a way to make that change.
The problem is step 1. its quite ... a lot of work to recreate and set up everything again.

JSM team really should make the Request form editable so I could select different issue types and then individually solve issue screen problems (if any).  

Like • # people like this
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

Sorry @Alexey ahah,

I completely agree with you, this feature would give a lot more flexibility to the administration of JSM projects but unfortunately it doesn't exist :/ As far as I know you don't have any other choice but to recreate them 1 by 1.

To be honest, the task is quite repetitive but it is quite quick to recreate them once you get used to it, I've done it a couple of times and except if you have 30+ of them it should be done in less than an hour.

Good luck !

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2021

@Guilhem Dupuya final question!
Before that, i've created a single project and then used it as a template to create 2 more. Now, if i re-create one, can i use this data to apply new settings to existing projects?
Ok, we cant Edit, but can we Replace whole thing?

Its not quite simple as you might think, because of 'customer' view, where i have a lot of text for custom fields. Moreover some of the fields are reused for example, a field 'description':
Bug - "Please, describe steps to reproduce"
New Feature "Provide a user story or a case, how feature should work"
New Report "Which column names you need for a new report" etc...

Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2021

@Alexey , you can re-use the field configurations, workflow schemes, issue type schemes etc... that you created for your previous project, but you can't automatically copy the requests types and the information you manually put in there unfortunately.

You won't have any better solution but copy them manually :/ The only field descriptions that will be automatically copied from one project to another are the one visible in the Agent view, that you customize in your custom fields settings, for the portal view everything is manual and independent from one project to the other.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events