Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manager Approval

dat_peterjvw October 17, 2019

Hi,

I am trying to setup Jira Service Desk for our internal Service Desk with some request types that should automatically get submitted for manager approval. 

I am not finding a way to do this.

Our Atlassian environment is setup with Okta and Okta has the manager listed but it looks like it is not able to send that over to Atlassian. 

Does anyone know how to have employee managers listed on the user profile so that they can be selected?

2 answers

0 votes
Amaresh Ray – Multiplier
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 18, 2021

Hi @dat_peterjvw 

You can automate routing of approvals to managers from Okta using the Multiplier plugin on Jira cloud:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1224807/multiplier-azure-ad-and-okta-operations-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

This uses post functions to pull in the manager from Okta and insert that into the Approvers field in Jira. See this for more details: https://docs.multiplierhq.com/article/17-how-to-automate-manager-approval-using-azure-ad-and-jira-service-management

Here's a quick demo of what this looks like when you combine manager approvals with automated provisioning in Okta:

https://www.loom.com/share/8fdd5d26aa1643cdbb6ac02e87a95349

Amaresh

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2019

Hi Peter-John,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

It’s possible to set a list of specific approvers for Service Desk. In this case, it’s necessary to add them to a group.

Related to automate this, I’m not sure if that’s what you need, but using the built-in automation, you can check if a customer is members of an organization or member of a group and edit the approver to a specific person. It’s also possible using an add-on like Automation for Jira.

Screenshot 2019-10-18_14-33-19-641.png

Screenshot 2019-10-18_14-55-23-731.png

Regards,
Angélica

dat_peterjvw November 6, 2019

What I was looking for was a way to store the manager of an employee somewhere. 

If Employee A submits a request that requires manager approval it would then automatically route to their manager. 

I would need this to be maintained automatically as keeping that up-to-date would be too cumbersome.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2019

Hi Peter,

If there are few employees that need this setting you can use the same automation but instead of selecting the reporter, as they are internal users, you can add them to a group with the name of the manager. 

Example:

Screenshot 2019-11-08_11-03-12-017.png

So, when a user creates a ticket and they are a member of the group “John” that would be the manager, the field approvers will automatically change to the manager. 

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events