• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Mail handler - use default reporter when sender is not registered.

We are using JSM server mainly for internal support and all of our internal customers have an account. We are also using e-mail requests. However, sometimes external clients contact us (by e-mail). We do not want external clients to have accounts in our jira instance (as our jira instance is not accessible from outside anyways). So, when an external client sends an e-mail, the reporter should be set to a default reporter. This is possible if a add an e-mail handler for a software project, but in service management mailhandlers, there is no such option. So should I create a standard-mailhandler and link it with the service management project instead of using the e-mail channel option right in the project (which is basically possible) or is there another approach to deal with that usecase?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Feb 16, 2021

So I assume you would create a single customer that has a Jira account and set that as the default? You would not want to use a JSM agent for default I think.  I have not attempted this but should work and easy enough to test. Of course you want know who reported the issue unless it is buried in the email body but I guess that isn’t important. Another thought, you could have a support@mycompany.com email that customers send to and then your mail client forwards that to your JSM email handler and have that email be a customer in your JSM project.

Hi Jack

Thank you for that quick reply.

You are right, we do have a dummy user that is called "External customer". We also have a few software projects with an e-mail inbox attached. In those cases, when the senders adress is not found as a customer in jira, "External Customer" will be set as reporter. I would like to do that in Jira Service management as well.

The users name and e-mail adress is usually contained in the e-mail body, if not, the person who deals with the issue will have to go to the inbox to get the e-mail adress. They will have to switch to the mailbox anyways as they have to send the reply from there.

Forwarding the message would work of course. We do that in another case as well and it works fine, but it requires an extra mailbox.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

209 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you