Mail handler - use default reporter when sender is not registered.

Roman Holdener February 16, 2021

We are using JSM server mainly for internal support and all of our internal customers have an account. We are also using e-mail requests. However, sometimes external clients contact us (by e-mail). We do not want external clients to have accounts in our jira instance (as our jira instance is not accessible from outside anyways). So, when an external client sends an e-mail, the reporter should be set to a default reporter. This is possible if a add an e-mail handler for a software project, but in service management mailhandlers, there is no such option. So should I create a standard-mailhandler and link it with the service management project instead of using the e-mail channel option right in the project (which is basically possible) or is there another approach to deal with that usecase?

2 answers

0 votes
Florian Schomakers June 4, 2021

Hi Roman,

Anything new to this topic? We run into the same problem for internal users which forward mails to the shared mailbox of the e-mail channel but we dont want to import the whole company as users to Jira.

Would be very happy to receive a reply from you.

Roman Holdener June 15, 2021

Hi Florian

After all, I did "missuse" the standard Mail handler in Jira, where it is possible to set a default user when the e-mail adress is not known in Jira.

In another case, we use 2 mailboxes. Users send Mails to mailbox 1 and the mails are being forwarded to mailbox 2, which is connected to a jira service management project.

As for your context: Why don't you want your whole company as users? If they just need to raise requests against a jira service management project, the do not even need a jira licence. You could just import the users from your AD to jira, but not give them a licence. This way, they can access only your service portal and raise requests per mail, but not more.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2021

So I assume you would create a single customer that has a Jira account and set that as the default? You would not want to use a JSM agent for default I think.  I have not attempted this but should work and easy enough to test. Of course you want know who reported the issue unless it is buried in the email body but I guess that isn’t important. Another thought, you could have a support@mycompany.com email that customers send to and then your mail client forwards that to your JSM email handler and have that email be a customer in your JSM project.

Roman Holdener February 16, 2021

Hi Jack

Thank you for that quick reply.

You are right, we do have a dummy user that is called "External customer". We also have a few software projects with an e-mail inbox attached. In those cases, when the senders adress is not found as a customer in jira, "External Customer" will be set as reporter. I would like to do that in Jira Service management as well.

The users name and e-mail adress is usually contained in the e-mail body, if not, the person who deals with the issue will have to go to the inbox to get the e-mail adress. They will have to switch to the mailbox anyways as they have to send the reply from there.

Forwarding the message would work of course. We do that in another case as well and it works fine, but it requires an extra mailbox.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events