cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Jira Epics to Insight

dieManu March 22, 2023

Hi,

I have the following use case:

Jira Service Management (Insight) will be used as our inventory tool. So there will be a lot of mobile phones (objects) with their IMEI in the desired object types list. -> easy

Challenge is that we do have e.g. thousand different phones in the list. To avoid typos I could do a different object type with the vendors and mobile names and link it to the IMEI list.

Solution #1: Do an object list and link it to the initial IMEI list where there is one object called e.g. Apple iPhone SE 2020, Apple iPhone SE 2022, Samsung Galaxy A13 (SM-A137F), Samsung Galaxy A13 (SM-135F),... which will be a very long text field. Also the device name needs to be added everytime a new device was bought. -> okish but not the best solution because the users might not add the same naming schema.

Solution #2: Just add an object attribute to the IMEI list which is called Vendor and Device Name. -> definitely not ok as there will be a mismatch of the names most of the time.

Solution #3: As there exist Epics in Jira with the correct Device Vendor and Names it would be best to have an object attribute in the IMEI list which is linked to the Epics in Jira. -> couldn't find such a solution so either there is no such thing or I searched the wrong way.

For a better understanding ... I want to have it like the story - epic link. So if you create a story in jira you have the epic link field where you can choose the epic link. So if I create a new object in insight I want to have a field epic link (or you name it) to link to the epic in jira. 

TIA

1 answer

0 votes
Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

Hi @dieManu 

welcome to the community. If I'm getting it right, what you are trying to resolve is an object from objectType a being an attribute of another object b.

If that is right, than this is totally possible. It would look something like this:

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 22.50.50.png

You can see the more complex setup in this graph:

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 22.52.55.png

Hope this helps.

dieManu March 22, 2023

Hi @Kai Becker ,

thank you. No. That would be my solution 1. What I want is that I have an object attribute which is called e.g. Epic Link where I can choose the epic link from a desired jira project.

I have done your suggestion already but in this case I need to type in the vendor and device name manually. It's just once for every device but it's one step more than i want.

insight attributes.png
I would like to have this epic link field from my "create issue" jira project also available in this insight "create object" form. Because we've already have epic links with the device names in our jira project so we don't need to add the device names again in insight.
insight.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events