Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knowledge base navigation

Hanne Van den Berghe January 4, 2019

Hi everyone,

When you're building your knowledge base in Confluence, you get to see a navigation bar on the left side. However, when you look at the same page in Jira Help Desk Knowledge base, there is no navigation at all..

Is there a way to automatically include the navigation from Confluence into the Knowledge base in Jira? 

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2019

Hello @Hanne Van den Berghe,

I don't think there's a way to add the same navigation bar on the Service Desk portal than in Confluence itself, but you could achieve something similar using the Page tree macro and configuring the page layout in Confluence. It looks like this once published:

page-view.PNG

And here is the editing view:

page-edit.PNG

Note that in this example I've set up the root page as the home of the space, but you could use the parent page as well (replacing @home with @parent in the Page tree macro parameter), it could make sense in a service desk scenario.

I haven't tried to see what it looks like from a Jira Service Desk portal but I think it would work well!

Hope this helps!

- Manon

Hi Manon,

Yes! That definitely helped! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Any chance you also know how to get rid of the whitespace around the article? In Jira right now, the article takes up about 1/3 of the width of the screen. I have a lot of blank space on the left and right of the content. In Confluence, my lay-out is/was set to full-width.

This is the current view in Jira (see screenshot)

But I would like to see the text aligned to the left side. Is there any way that would be possible?Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 11.14.07.png

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2019

Glad it helped!

The article display actually depends on whether you're reading it from a request form:

from-creation.PNG

Or from the help center:

from-helpcenter.PNG

I don't think you can change the width of the article - it may be possible using Refined Sites but we're limited with Cloud so I'm really not sure you can tweak that.

Like # people like this

Great thanks!

ash p August 11, 2023

Just a heads up for people that are looking to do the same as above:

1. on Confluence Cloud, you should be able to make it a bit wider by pressing the 'user full page width' button at the top of the document when editing in Confluence

2. Beware of adding the nav down the left hand side if you plan on using the help widget, unfortunately due to its narrow width if you add the nav it becomes unreadable, or certainly does not look very good. 

Thanks

Like Takashi HYODO likes this
0 votes
Viet Nguyen June 10, 2021

@Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ 

Hi,

Can you please let me know if you select an item from the page tree, its content will reflect accordingly in the right side? Like if you select the page "Page with navigation", the content on the right side will reflect that as well?

May i know what macro it is for the right side? i am using Confluence cloud.

Thank you.  

0 votes
Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2019

Hello @Hanne Van den Berghe, Welcome to the community 😊.

I guess below KB Articles answer your question in detail,

If you found my answer useful, please mark as accepted!

Hi Alana,

Thanks for your reply. I had indeed already gone through those articles but didn't really see the answer I was looking for (maybe it was but I didn't find it).

But thanks for taking the time to reply! :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events