Jira service desk issues create new issue on reply to email

Andrew Knight November 26, 2020

Hi,

We're having a similar issue where some (not all) emails where they're replies to the Jira Emailed notification, are creating new tickets rather than linking to the issue as a comment.

However I don't believe that your permission answer applies here, as I was able to replicate it with my account and I definitely have permission as one of the administrators of the Service Management Project.

For elaboration, Client Raised a ticket > Team fixed the issue and closed the ticket > Client replied to me specifically (not service desk) > I readded the service desk email and replied to him. This then created a new issue, rather than add the comment, however the issue key was always present in the subject line.

Is there more details/requirements you can provide on exactly what the system uses/looks for when matching emails to issues.

Thanks
Andrew

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2020

Hi @Andrew Knight 

You were not the reporter in the above scenario, so when you replied I think the service desk would see you don't match the reporter and create a new ticket.

Andrew Knight December 3, 2020

Hi Liam,

That seems like an odd way to process the tickets, that the only people that can comment by email are the reporter and the assignee. And that anyone else that wants to comment would have to open up the ticket rather than replying to the email.

I'll look further into it but I cannot see this as the reason why.

Thanks
Andrew

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2020

Hi Andrew

The other people who can comment are request participants, but it is possible that you weren't a request participant - which is why a new ticket was created.

Andrew Knight December 6, 2020

Hi Liam,

That makes more sense, but to have such a restricted criteria seems disadvantageous, particularly when the ticket code is in the subject line.

Thanks for your help.

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2020

Hi Andrew

I agree.  Tickets by email aren't an exact science - we're trying to move to portal where possible - but it isn't easy.

If my answer helped, feel free to mark it as 'accepted'

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events