Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira notification scheme vs service manager automation alerts

Dawn Fama January 28, 2021

Hello,

Do you still need to have a notification scheme on JSM project if you have automation set up for alerting?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2021

Yes, projects have to have a notification scheme.

But you can always create one that has a blank sender list for every event, so nothing will go out at all.

Hi Nick,

So are the notification schemes sort of like permissions for who in project/agents can get the notifications?

for example, I have an automation rule to send alet to 4 agents when issue is created.  I also have notification in scheme for issue created to agent group.

Will the whole group get notified or just the agents in the automation rule, or..  will the 4 agents in automation and the whole group get notified on issue creation?

I'm just wondering if I need both or just one or the other?

Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2021

The automation is totally separate to the notification scheme.

When you do things in Jira, it fires "events" (Most, but not all of them are issue events).  The nofification scheme listens for them, and sends emails to the nominated people/project roles/issue roles/groups. 

Your automation rule will send the alert to the 4 agents you've set up and the notification scheme will react to "issue created" by sending emails to all members of the agent group

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2021

Hi @Dawn Fama 

Notifications schemes are separate from Automation. If you think your rules are sending duplicate notifications then modify your notification scheme.

Notification scheme are usually shared with other projects so just be careful about it.

Ravi

Thank you Ravi,

I always create separate schemes for separate projects.

See my reply to Nic, this is my challenge

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events