Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Software and Jira Service Management on separate servers?

Lotta Löfwall May 23, 2022

Hi

We're about to install Jira Service Management in our environment. We are already running Jira Software, Confluence and Bitbucket. The problem is we're running Software on a server license and are buying JSM on a Data Center license. The plan is to upgrade Software to Data Center license in the fall of 2023.

Now to my question - is it possible to run JSM on a separate server and still get all the benefits of running Jira Software and JSM together? We are using Insight today in Jira Software and want to take advantage of the Insight that is included in JSM and therefor not have to pay for the Insight app in Jira Software. Will this work when they're running on separate instances?

Is it worthwhile to set this up in separate instances and than in a year or so maybe move them to the same instance? Or should we argue to take the cost to upgrade Jira Software to a Data Center license this year already?

Regards

Lotta Löfwall

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2022

Hi @Lotta Löfwall - Insight is only available with JSM licensing so if you split your JSM/JS products into separate instances you will lose your Insight functionality on the JS server.

Lotta Löfwall May 23, 2022

Ok, does that mean I can't use the Insight data i JS if I have it on the JSM instance? 

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2022

That's my understanding.  I know you can link environments, but I don't believe you can take advantage of Insight in that way.  One option could be to buy the minimum number of JSM premium licenses (I believe it's 10) so you can take advantage of Insight in your JS environment.

Lotta Löfwall May 24, 2022

Ok. Our plan is already to buy 250 agents in JSM and we have 2000 server licenses for JS. All this is on prem. So what I'm asking is actually if it is recommended to run both on the same instance, or is it better to run them on separate servers, what are the pros and cons? Since it will be a difference in licensing it won't be possible to run them on the same instance and I need to know the consequences of running them on separate instances.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2022

If you want to take advantage of Insight for your JS projects, I would recommend keeping things on a single instance.  Even if you purchase 10 premium JSM licenses on your second environment, the Insight environments would be separate and you'd have to keep object schemas and data in sync.  Secondly, it would be really handy to have everything on a single instance if you have a need for JSM and JS projects to interact (e.g. someone raises a request that needs to be escalated to a dev team). 

The only reason I can think of for separate instances is if you have really sensitive data on JSM and/or JS and you have an abundance of concern about it coexisting in the same environment.  However, even that can be managed with a carefully crafted permissions strategy.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events