Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Service Management and Jira Software Tight Integration

Andrew Q_ January 1, 2021

I saw the Software and Jira Management tight integration features. I would like to ask if we need to buy separate license for each product?

Current Setup:
DevOps using Jira Software - 15
Tech. Support using Jira Service Management - 20

Do I need the 15 users of DevOps to have Jira Service Management license and vise versa same with Tech. Support?

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 1, 2021

Possibly, it depends on how you want to be using it all.

I apologise for the rambling info-dump here:

• The most simple case is that you have "Jira Core" (most of us will say just "Jira" here).
  • Jira Software and Jira Service Management (Jira Service Desk), are two separate applications that add functions on top of Jira Core - you have to have Jira Core running as a place to add one or both of them to it.
  • The three applications are licenced independently, even when they are all running on the same service.
  • A very easy way to think of a licence for a JSM/D or Software user is that it includes a licence for Jira Core, as it needs all the core stuff to do the underlying work

So, in your case, you might need to cross-licence.

• Your DevOps people will be able to see and do some simple stuff (comments, watching, be a participant in) with Service Desk projects, but cannot act as Service Desk Agents unless they get JSD licences.  Y
  • our Service Desk Agents can be allowed into your Jira Software projects to work with issues, but don't get to work with sprints and boards unless they're granted a Software licence as well.

You'll need to think about what you want your JSD agents need to do in Software projects, and what your DevOps people need to do in help-desk type projects.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 1, 2021

That depends on what you wish the users to be able to do. For example if you only need to JSW users to be able to browse and comment on JSM issue then they will not need JSM licenses. That is only required if you need them to be agents where they could be assigned and work on JSM issues.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events