Jira Service Desk as a project interface

dedric_ap February 4, 2020

Hi all,

So I'm revisiting the Atlassian stack recently as our company is growing.  We are a small (growing) prof services company that is looking to utilize consultants for technical delivery.  What got me interested in the Service Desk feature is the customer portal aspect and ability to share confluence content.

I've hacked around a little bit and was able to get, oh, some/most of what I need but the final fit and finish is proving challenging.

Ideally what I would like is the ability to create a project that would have milestones (eg versions), tasks and workflows all ready to go for our internal team.  The customer would have access to the knowledge base content (eg docs we want to share), visibility to the tasks and ability to ask questions.

This would really allow us to bring a contractor on board, make sure we have visibility, allow the customer direct access to project and visibility and amazingness.

The issue I'm having is that I can't quite seem to figure out the right way to fit together what seems to be a Jira Software project format (tasks, versions, workflow) and the Service Desk features (eg portal).

I had thought about creating two projects, one in the core Project Management and one for Service Desk but....yeah I'd def prefer not.

Any ideas out there or thoughts on how best to glue this together.  The more I fiddle with this the more I feel this is a square peg/round hole sort of issue.

1 comment

Jens February 14, 2020

I think you are right this might not be the right fit for your purpose. While all the building blocks basically are available, you want Jira Software and Jira Service Desk to play nice. And in my experience they really are very separate products with separate feature sets. Although they are both based on the Jira Core, too much functionality is only available in on or the other product.

I think you could make it work with enough tinkering and addons from the market place. But compared to using a better fitting solution it could very well end up being a more costly solution.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events