Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Cloud mail handler not creating tickets from custom email

Enoch Bryant February 3, 2021

I have been testing Jira cloud for a couple of days now.  When I created my first IT support project and setup the custom email account, it worked fine.  I could email that account and a ticket would be created.  Since then, I have deleted that project and re created a like project but I no longer get tickets created when that project is connected to that custom email account.  Tickets are created when I use the default support@company.atlassian.net.

What do I need to do to remedy this?

2 answers

0 votes
Jonathan Robles January 6, 2022

Is there a fix for this? We are currently experiencing the same issue. Emails are not being picked up anymore. We experienced this in the past and had to create a different mailbox as well.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

is this JSW or JSM? if JSM be sure you are setting up the custom email under project > project settings > email requests and not under admin > system > incoming email.

If this is JSM and you do have the custom email set up correctly then please share what you find in the logs (link under custom email). Do you see the failed request? If so what does the failure say? If you do not see the failed request that seems to say the email is not being received by the mail handler. Log into the custom email account and see if there is anything in the inbox. Are the request there and in an unread state?

This is JSM.  I have the custom email set under Projects >Project name > Project Settings > Email Requests > Custom email.  The email is connected using imaps 993 and said it connected successfully.  When I click on View Logs under custom email, in processing log I have nothing, in connectivity log I have the connection time, email and a success.

I have the email box attached to my outlook and I can see the requests come in.  In the mailbox it shows unread for a few seconds then goes to read.  But no ticket is created.

If I choose to not use the custom email and use the default email support@company.atlassian.net, the ticket is created just fine.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

thanks for the additional info. I have moved the post to JSM collection to keep things clean.

One quick question here - this email isn't by chance a shared mailbox correct? Just want to get that non-working issue out of the way. If the email log doesn't show anything then it seems JSM isn't getting them for some reason. If the emails were being processed you would see a log. have you tried to issue an email from various customers or even an agent?

The mailbox is a user mailbox like others, the only difference is I went in and gave permissions to the mailbox and permission to send on behalf of the mailbox to 3 people that will monitor it.

What do you mean issue an email from customers or an agent.  I have multiple test accounts, gmail, protonmail, business email that I have sent in a test email to the mailbox to make sure it shows up.  The emails do, but no tickets are created

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2021

I meant to try to create an issue by email from various email accounts to see if it was ‘from user specific issue’ though doubtful. I wonder if somehow these emails are getting marked as read by some other person or entity before  JSM has gotten to them. Try sending an email from your personal email account for grins. Maybe try another custom email. 

Its working now, I had to go into my exchange and create a whole new exchange mailbox.  Just curious if something could have been cached on Jira cloud servers.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events