Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Administrator rights to manage filters

Ziwei Liu December 8, 2020

I have just been granted jira administrator rights (currently among group jira-administrators) to manage the reports, but when I click Issues > manage Filters > Search Filters > Search on Jira Service desk, it seems that I can't see the report with private filters. However, for another admin account, I could access all the reports including private filter ones.  Do I need additional right to access these private filter reports? Thanks for answering. 

What attached is the difference of two accounts searching the filters. cat rights.PNG is what my account can see, and cat rights2.jpg is what another account could see.cats rights 2.jpgcats rights.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2020

Hi,

I see that you are using Jira Server and have noticed some differences between two different accounts in regards to what filters can be seen by each.  The reason for this could be the permissions of the account directly, or it might be a matter of group membership/project role membership, or there could be other factors here as well.

You mentioned that your account has been added to the jira-administrators group.  That is good to know.  And in most Jira server sites, that group name does grant your account administrator rights within Jira.  However it is possible that your environment could have adjusted which specific rights are being granted to which group names.  So I would want to see if you can take a closer look at the global permissions to see which groups are granted access there.  If you cannot reach this page within Jira, then your account is not really an administrator yet.

There is another factor that might play in here.  Jira Server and Data Center editions before 7.12.0 did not really have the ability for administrators to manage all filters.  This feature was mentioned in Jira 7.12 release notes: Share edit rights for filters and dashboards.  I can't tell exactly which version of Jira you are using here, so I don't know if this is a factor here yet or not.  If your Jira here is 7.12 or higher, then being an administrator should let you manage these.  However if you are on a 7.11.x or earlier version, then being an administrator is not sufficient to manage these, you need to have that filter shared with you first.

Let me know if this helps.  I would be interested to learn more about your environment so that I can better understand the behavior here.

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events