Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSM with Jira Data Center installation

Darin Martin May 7, 2021

We are currently running Jira, Confluence and Jira Servicemanagement all on the same server.   We are aware of the changes that have been made regarding Jira Data Center and are planning our migration in the near future.   Will everything still run on the same server or can the applications like JSM be broken out to run on their own server?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2021

Jira Software and Jira Service Managements are "Applications" that run on the "Jira Platform".  The Jira Platform is Jira Core as far as we users are concerned.

If you were to split your JSM and Software off on to another server each, you'd end up with one server running Jira Core, a second with Jira Core + JSM and a third with Jira Core + Software.

The three systems would not share data directly, it would make people working on one of the three harder to collaborate with than keeping it all in one place.

Confluence is a separate service in its own right.  If you're concerned that your servers are not powerful enough to run Jira and Confluence, then by all means move one of them on to another server, Jira and Confluence are two independent systems.  But there's no gain to be had by breaking up your Jira. 

I have not mentioned data-centre yet - that's because it's pretty much irrelevant to this subject.  You could be running Jira on a single server, or on several DC nodes, it doesn't make any difference to whether you choose to split up your systems or not.

Darin Martin May 7, 2021

Thanks for your reply.. 

Yes, we currently are running JIra Core, Jira Software and JIra Service Management on the same server.   We are planning to migrate to Jira Data Centre within the next year or so and were curious about the requirements and whether one monolithic server is also required or if multiple servers can be used.  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2021

You can do everything on one server (obviously, for DC, a single server means a single node in a cluster, so you wouldn't be getting any of the benefits of load balancing or resilience), or yes, you could split things out onto different ones.

The default position most people take is 

• One database server
  • One server running Jira (with Software and/or JSM installed on top)
  • One server running Confluence
  • One server running Bitbucket
  • Replace "server" with "cluster" for DC installs.

But that's not a requirement at all, you can do it any way you want as long as you give each service enough resources to work.

Like Darin Martin likes this
Stephan Vos October 4, 2022

This all makes sense but the one issue that I cannot find an answer for is what will happen to our Core only (Business Projects), can they be converted to DC projects (I know DC does not have a separate Core app like Server does).

Or do they need to be turned/migrated into JSM projects?

We have Core (Business) projects with 50 separate Core licenses and then we have 50 separate JSM licenses.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2022

I'm afraid that's wrong - DC is the same software as Server and absolutely does have the Core application.

There is no such thing as a "DC project" - projects are Business (Core), Software or Service Management, same as Server.

Thanks Nic.

Yes I asked the question incorrectly.
I should have asked if a Business Project can exist (is available) both in Server and DC and that seems to be the case.

So am I correct in saying that if I enter the JSM DC license into the current JSM Server License field it will convert the instance to DC but leave the Core (Business) projects available then to by used as normal by employees with JSM licenses?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2022

Yes, you won't see any difference.

0 votes

What is still a bit unclear is what will happen with upgrades to Jira Software and Jira Service Management when Jira Core expires.

Our configuration as such:
10x Jira Software licenses
50x JSM licenses
50x Additional Core licenses for those who only need to browse and comment or work with business projects.

Maintenance for the 50 Jira Core licenses expires in November 2022 whereas JSM and SW maintenance expires in Jan 2023.

I don't see the point in renewing the Core Jira Maintenance seeing that we are migrating to JSM in Jan 2023 and will be going from 50 to 100 JSM licenses.

If we need to will we be able to upgrade SW and JSM after Core expired between November and Jan 2023 or will it refuse to upgrade?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events